Coil Roofing Nailers

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #1  

paulsharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
I am going to have to reshingle my house in the next month (insurance problems) and I am going with a 2nd layer of 3 tab asphalt shingles. Home is roughly 1500 square foot roof area. I want a coil roofing nailer, without breaking the bank. Gun will be used for this roof, and possibly 2 or 3 more over the next decade; so it doesn't need to be professional grade, but I don't want to spend more time fixing jams then nailing. Any thoughts?

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #2  
For one roof….just rent one. There real inexpensive to rent, and rental units are generally good quality brands…. Less for them to repair and less down time.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #3  
I rented one about fifteen years ago for $40 a week. I work slow so I probably had it two weeks. For the next roof I bought one from Harbor Freight. It was $80 or $100. It hasn't given me a moment of grief. I drip a little oil into the air intake each day and it works well. I'll use it again when I do my next roof. I do recommend removing your old shingles. That will let you see the condition of the sub roof. Oh, yeah, I've got the special shovel for that, too.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Coil Roofing Nailers #4  
I do recommend removing your old shingles.
I second this recommendation.
I have a Hitachi roofing nailer. I'm slow and don't work well on 4/12 pitch roofs in the middle of the summer in Texas so I bought one. I could only tolerate being on the roof for a couple hours in the morning and a couple in the evening. Rental wasn't an option for me. Since the roof sheathing was exposed and the wind kept tearing off the tar paper, I ended up covering the whole roof with peel-n-stick also called ice & water shield. It holds its self to the sheathing and can be left exposed to the weather for a couple months. It's more expensive, but after replacing the tar paper a few times, the ice & water shield became a better option.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Coil Roofing Nailers
With my Insurance, Citizens, it's a state run insurance company of last resort here in FL; we got a letter in mid Jan that we had to have a new roof by mid May. We didn't see the letter till about 2 weeks ago; so thats the time urgency. We did have the option of paying for an inspection, and if they sign off that roof has min 3 years of remaining life, they won't cancel. I know the roof needs redone, but I frankly, would have been happy to patch and seal bad areas for a few more years.

Had a coworker just went threw the same thing; any roof over 15 years old; due to insurance fraud stuff after hurricanes.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #7  
Have you thought about a metal roof ? 29 gauge galvalume metal roof would go on pretty quick, especially if it's a gable roof , they are a little easier and less waste than a hip.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #8  
I have a Portor Cable roofing nailer that I bought back around 99' to shingle a 28x80 foot barn. Not a single jam unlike my old Duo-Fast framing nailer. I would consider an HF nailer for your needs. Also, I am with the old roof tear off camp.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #9  
I built for a long time. Never seen a roofer use an air nailer. I put on a few too. I know they use them on trailer houses and double wife's. Not the roofers I've used, though. Just a hammer, pouch, knife, chalk box, and measuring tape is all you need. Maybe caulking gun for some roof penetratilons with caulk.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #10  
Back in 1995 I did a layover on our house right before selling it. I hand-nailed. It took me a day to do 1/2 of one side of the house. The next day I rented an air-nailer. It took me one day to finish the other half of that side, the entire 2nd half of the house, the breezeway, and the garage. Never used a hammer for roofing again. It's nuts to think about the time spent and physical damage to your joints until you do it yourself.

Two summers ago we added a 24x24 addition to our garage. I bought a framing nailer from Harbor Freight. This one. $100.

It worked so well, that I bought a palm nailer from Harbor Freight. This one. $20 on sale. Used it to put in the roof truss brackets.

It worked so well, that I bought a roofing nailer from Harbor Freight. This one. It was on sale for $100, as I recall. I also bought a case of nails.

It worked flawlessly. (y) (y) I did 1/2 the roof one day, and the other half the next. Goes really fast. I do not want to think of how sore I'd have been using a hammer. I've had a torn rotator cuff before. No thanks.

I purchased enough shingles to also do the roof on the original garage, which was around 50 years old. So, the next summer, I bought a shingle removal shovel from Lowes or Menards (can't remember which), and removed the original shingles. It took me about 2-3 hours to remove each half of the 24x20 roof. I was surprised at how fast old shingles can be removed by one person with that shovel. Again, (y)(y)

I then replaced any damaged wood, put down ice shield, then tar paper, then new shingles, new metal edges, drip rail, etc., again using the HF roofing nailer, and again being very happy with the results.

As mentioned, just be sure and drip air oil into the air inlet before use each day. Doesn't hurt to do it again after lunch.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase these Banks nailers for small projects like this. Hope that helps. Good luck with your project. ;)