Coil Roofing Nailers

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #11  
One of my best luxury purchases was a roofing nailer. Mentally at least, it paid for itself right away. Over the years I put on a lot of roofs using hammer and nails. Had nail guns for everything else so the roofing nailer was a late addition to my toolbox. Should have got one at least a decade earlier!

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #12  
I have an old DeWalt coil nailer that I don't care for. It gets the job done, but it's always needed attention.

Be sure that you can use 1 3/4 inch nails. One of the biggest reasons for failure is not using long enough nails. The shaft of the nail has to go through the decking. The point of the nail has no holding power. Also be sure to follow the nail pattern that is on every bundle of shingles.

For a second layer, you should use architectural shingles. Three tab are too thin and they will fail on you faster as a second layer. Since they are not flat, they age faster.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #13  
I have a Freeman Coil Nailer but it is for fencing. They do make a roofing nail gun. I bought a whole set of freeman nailers when I was remodeling a house, framing, finishing, stapler, all have worked well for me. These came from Home Depot, they are not in the store but I got them Online during a daily special.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers
Have you thought about a metal roof ? 29 gauge galvalume metal roof would go on pretty quick, especially if it's a gable roof , they are a little easier and less waste than a hip.
Yes I did; and if I had some more time to get things together, I absolutely would.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers
I guess one detail I left out about the roof in general; we plan on selling house in a few years; so longevity isn't a major concern. I do know that a 2nd layer isn't ideal, but it is allowed by code, and makes planning around weather, and work; doing a few 100 sf in the evening easier.

Yes, I know as an Owner-Builder, in FL, you can't sell within 1 year of pulling an Owner-Builder permit. You can't pull your own permit for the purpose of rent, sale, ect and if you sell within 1 year, your considered to have done the work for the ourpose of sale.

There is one soft spot, around a bathroom pipe boot that is soft, that will get OSB removed and replaced (not covered by my building permit).

Building permit was very simple (I work in a permit related field, but not building permits or county, state stuff) hand filled details, Shingle "FL#", they confirmed I owned property, pay my $84, and walked out with my permit.

Edit: the soft spot will get felt and doubled shingles as well, so as to not have an uneven area, drawing attention to the replaced OSB

/ Coil Roofing Nailers
I ending up getting the Wen 61783 from Amazon for $93. Looks like Harbor Freight discontinued their Central Penumatic cheap one, and the next level up was more money, and didn't include a case.
Screenshot_20220425-162405_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

/ Coil Roofing Nailers
After action report; finished the roof. Nail gun did good, roughly 10k nails driven; did have a problem with fairly often (1 in 20ish) double firing, which was annoying. I'm happy with the Wen, and would buy it again. I used 7200 1-3/4" coil nails (Metabo) and maybe 2000-3000 1-1/4" nails.

Roof got final inspected today, no issues.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #18  
Never heard of Wen. I'm glad it worked for you. That was a pretty good price.

/ Coil Roofing Nailers #19  
I would strip the old shingles off too!

I bought a coil roof nailer from HF too and did a couple roofs with it so far. I think it jammed 3 times total.

I consider it to be a much better nailer than I thought it would be, it's been well worth what it cost me.

SR