computer question

/ computer question #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
I have been using Norton anti virus 2003, but latey it won't let me use live update (am paid up till 2/07?) they have a work around but it is a 50 step process. It has been sugessted that i dump NORTON and get another virus protector. 2 questions. 1) will norton uninstall completly remove it (have heard that it is tough to get rid of) and 2) what is a good replacement for it? also have heard that it is best to remove one before installing the new one , is that correct?

/ computer question #3  
If you Google as suggested, also try the phrase "antivirus software" and read some of the links that include reviews. However, you have a small investment remaining in Symantec/Norton... If you're patient enough to stand in line to talk to their Tech Support, they'll probably give you an "out" so you don't feel like you've been burned -- maybe an uninstall process for NAV 2003 and a reduced-cost upgrade to NAV 2006? You're a current customer, man! Ride it!

/ computer question #4  
AVG by www.grisoft.com and www.stopsign.com and if your with Comcast you can get mcAfee free.
Norton is good, I had a full subscription and very pleased with it, when it expired, I uninstalled it and I did a search on its items and deleted them. I am sure I have some left somewhere but I won't
worry about them
Jim

/ computer question #5  
I have never had a problem with Norton not uninstalling. All programs tend to leave little bits and pieces of themselves in the Registry. Symantec has a utility that will completely uninstall AntiVirus 2003 as I ran into the same problem as you with my NAV2003. They are dropping support for NAV 2003 and you can't renew a subscription for it. It seems that they may have jumped the gun and pulled the plug on the updates too. I just opted to purchase NAV 2006 and used symantec's utility to remove NAV 2003. I have to vote for AVG as a very good free AntiVirus, but remember it is only free for personal use, not in a business environment.

/ computer question #6  
I've changed to Grisoft also. Since I "uninstalled":mad: Norton now everytime I boot up the screen locks up with the following (see attachment). Since I am not confident messing with the registery I've put up with this for too long. A new computer is on the way. I plan to use Grisoft when it arrives. Good luck.

Attachments

• HANGscreen.jpg
    HANGscreen.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 145
   / computer question #7  
Frank,
I have gone through the same c--- with Norton, and have had to have their CS intervene twice. PIA at best. I run two networked PCs for myself, one for office work, one for website management, email, surfing. The former only goes online to get software updates, but I had Norton installed on both. A month ago I gave up on the office work PC....I uninstalled Norton (and using instructions from their site I apparently got a clean & complete uninstall), installed AVG and Zone Alarm. It runs faster, less hang time on a number of things, and so far no infections. When my subscription runs out, or the next time Live Update jerks me around, I AM going to the same on this PC. Definitely do the uninstall before installing another.

/ computer question #8  
gotrocks said:
I've changed to Grisoft also. Since I "uninstalled":mad: Norton now everytime I boot up the screen locks up with the following (see attachment). Since I am not confident messing with the registery I've put up with this for too long. A new computer is on the way. I plan to use Grisoft when it arrives. Good luck.

Norris,

Try downloading CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

Like AVG, it's free, and it does a good job of cleaning up the Registry and other parts of your computer. The Registry cleaner is one of the "Issues" functions. Good luck!

/ computer question #9  
Frank,

I'm with MrJimi here. I had Norton and it didn't do much of anything. There was a time when it was one of the good ones, but from what I've been told, they are not keeping up with all the threats out there and they just aint what they used to be.

My system crashed a few months ago to the point we couldn't turn the computer on. First the keys stoped responding and it just got worse.

The local repair shop was able to save all our pics and word files, but we lost allot of music and video files. They said that downloading musid is the number one way to get a virus now. Used to be ****, but that's not our thing, music is. Steph downloads allot of songs. They said the viruses, or whatever they are called, are hidden in the songs. Free songs are the worse, but all music sights have the possiblity of having problems.

The guys who fixed our system recomeneded www.grisoft.com and to download there free software called AVG.

It runs a check on the system every day and downloads the latest software automatically. For free, it's working like a charm!!!!

Good luck,
Eddie

/ computer question #10  
Gosh, I guess from what everyone else is saying, I need to keep my fingers crossed. I've been using Norton for so many years, I've never even tried all those others everyone seems to like so well. I'm currently using Norton's SystemWorks 2005 and Norton's Personal Firewall (turned off Windows XP firewall) and have no complaints so far.