Concrete mix question

/ Concrete mix question #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
I am a devout do-it-yourselfer. If I don't know how to do it, I find a book and learn. I have a book on concrete work and it states clearly that the water should be clean and the sand and gravel should be washed, free of dirt and organic matter. A couple of years ago, I hired some work done and the contractor wanted to use a vendor who does not wash his gravel. I looked at his raw materials and put some in a jar of water. It was very dirty. I refused to use it and the contractor found another source, further away and, naturally, more expensive. I have some more work to do and another contractor wants to use the local mix, still unwashed. The argument is that he is bonded and has to guarantee the job for 5(?) years. Has concrete technology improved since my book was written, or should I look for another source? This is a relatively small job, so I am inclined to look for clean materials and mix it myself.

/ Concrete mix question #2  
Stone dust.. or sand won't be an issue with your aggregate if you mix it properly. Organic matter however is a no-no.. don't want any topsoil or plant matter entrained in the mix.

Soundguy