Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok #1  

the old grind

Tractor
NH T-1520 HST, NH TC33DA HST, Case DX26 HST, .Terramite T5C, . NH L785
New neighbors (kids on quads & dirt bikes making their own track :eek:) have helped themselves to 20ac in our nabe, just across the road. This included part of an adjacent 20 whose owner recently passed away and $@#%-ed us as guardians of the first 20 when anyone even approached his line. We have limited per to hunt & trap the lady's vacant land but not to add food plots or even mess with weeds there. Even tracking game onto the guy's property was our mutual no-no, as his oversight preserved a deer 'sanctuary' that we knew better than to ever set foot in.

Now that school is out the un-welcomed noise has those with little ones or G-kids are alarmed for their disrupting nap time during the week. We hadn't come up with a 'plan' for addressing this, and I have no personal dog in the fight, but decided to give it a shot when another visit woke Nathan (again).

I appeared on foot and waved a rider over to speak to him. "There is no public land in this county, and you are trespassing." I held up a cel phone. "Would you take off the helmet so I can get a picture for ID to go sith the landowner's legal complaint? The neighbors are all upset about the noise and I see you went onto __'s land, too." It's been listed for sale and, "I hope his family won't come down on us as if we condoned or endorsed this activity. They'd likely sign onto any complaint filed by those offended." '___' would have had the law show up while visitors were there if he could. He'd be knocking on our doors if not. If the lady shows up to see how we're doing, she'll likely be sotted and would be PO'd if she had the slightest idea what was going on.

Our now-deceased neighbor hated quads, bikes, sleds, 'boggers' .. anything he could see or hear, sometimes even if crossing the other 20 to get to trails we're allowed to cut firewood behind both spreads. We'd hear his vitriol because 'it's you "%#@s" again'. (not so..) btw: The lady's lawyer is good. He got her sentence reduced when she ran over a guy who got her goat at the bar. Her being in the bag helped to make it negligent homicide vs a deliberate assault.

We ejoy the peace & quiet, really wish we could have sent the youngster elsewhere close to home. None of us have 'ride-able' land, so sleds aren't ridden much anymore and serious bogging is limited to a county park designated for just that. (awesome place, btw) We're getting too old (40 & up) and too crippled (from playing) to have had dirt bikes for a loong time.

Anyway, the lad declined to remove his headgear so I could get an ID pic. He apologized sincerely and said he would not return. Forty years ago and after college I could have been him, not aware that my riding there wasn't appreciated, esp on two properties whose owners were downright nasty about unapproved visitors ... and making a track there. :eek:

I honestly hated to be 'that guy' but someone else would have to be. (So far, so good.)

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok #2  
Interesting story, I think. Kinda hard for me to understand some parts.

At least the kid was respectful Many would have told you to f-off.

I had a somewhat similar situation on a camping trip a couple weeks ago. Memorial day weekend and the camp ground was full, appx 200 campers and tents. Some guy decided is would be a good idea to let his kids ride their dirtbikes around the campground. Kids ride back and forth for about an hour before the staff came by and told them to stop. It's amazing how people can be so disrespectful of others.

Good luck with keeping the kids off your property. Tough to police everyone's property and lord knows that if the kids get hurt on your place you will likely get sued. My best advice would be to stay calm and plan each move. Dont' do anything that would get you in trouble.

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok #3  
Sounds to me like you handled it as best you could. Hope the kid follows through on what he said.

I deal with this a lot on my farm. I mostly blame the parents...they have no land, but then buy their kids quads and motorcycles and where the heck do they figure the kids are going to ride them? I've had to go out and try to get them off my newly planted wheat fields as they were out there cutting doughnuts, etc. They look at my 200 acres as public property. Most the time, if you try to motion them over, they shoot you the finger and keep riding or take off and come back later. Of course, you're not going to pull a gun on them, and they know it. It's a problem for sure.

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok
Rapid update: :eek:

I pedaled out to the mailbox and was flagged down by a neighbor from 'up front'. It seems that moments after I had spoken with the biker a truck screeched to a halt on our road, loudly enough to wake the grand-baby again. She looked out to see what was up and a guy raced up her driveway as if going to war. "$%$#@!! Nobody talks to my kid that way %@$#!!!"

What way? He didn't hear a word that was said. Might be protecting the boy from ever hearing the word "no", but that's just a guess. :confused:

"$#@%!!!!" She smiled politely in response, hardly shaken by his demeanor, and suggested he call the numbers on either 'for sale' sign to let someone know the owners might better not deny the boy either, ... mentioned that they could be %#$#@-ing at attorneys next if we let either owner know we weren't representing their expressed wishes.

"No trespassing" signs have always been refreshed as needed, part of our accepted task of looking after both properties. (in Mar, this year) Odd that the signs all disappeared about when the new guys moved in & the kids apparently 'owned' what they 'discovered'. (neighbor says several other kids have joined in on weekends) Recent survey markers (May of this year) for the house sale are MIA, too.

I might expect a guy who so proudly waxes his truck in the driveway once or twice a week to be more humble or considerate. Then again, I might not understand people as well as I think. :rolleyes: Since the Dad has a similar race-track in his own yard, jumps & all, I'm tempted to give someone permission to use that one and would be happy to $@#!%! him if he tries to tell them not to, say meet him half-way on all this & see who's waving fingers this time amid the roar of their disapproval. (don't tell me, let me guess...)

We're having a good laugh about this guy's tantrum, knowing that if the law won't come when we call them they will again for the actual owners as they have in the past. We also agree that one guy should be happy we warned them before SHTF if he knew who he'd come up against later on. :confused3:

"Did you tell 'em who's boss, Daddy? ..." We'll he tried to.

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok #5  
I think you are underestimating the trouble this new neighbor will cause. Pulling up property markers and stealing trespass signs is a pretty bold beginning.

He and his kids (who obviously learned poorly from him) are going to try to throw their weight around and be bullies IMO.

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok #6  
This...
Interesting story, I think. Kinda hard for me to understand some parts.

Dont' do anything that would get you in trouble.

And maybe some of this...but not sure, due to the above quote. :confused:

I think you are underestimating the trouble this new neighbor will cause.

I'm all for showing dumbarzzes "what's what", but I'm a little lost. Is the short read: You (the OP) is tasked with protecting some of your neighbor's land, and you're doing just that?

I kind of think that's the story.

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok #7  
I think you are underestimating the trouble this new neighbor will cause. Pulling up property markers and stealing trespass signs is a pretty bold beginning.

He and his kids (who obviously learned poorly from him) are going to try to throw their weight around and be bullies IMO.

I agree pretty much with this...on the other hand, nip it in the the bud and all. :confused3:

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok #8  
Wow, this is hard to read and understand.

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok #9  
Have another shot or two of Jack, it will all be ok!
:D

/ Confronting another tresspasser. Step 1 went ok #10  
Just so you know, as I also live in mid Michigan and have some experience with this subject, the State Police told me directly (as did the 911 operator), that only the registered landowner can file or make a claim about trespassing. No letters of authority, or acting on behalf of, or any relatives, etc. If your name is on the deed, you can report or flie or charge, if its not YOUR property, keep your mouth closed and don't waste your time.