Connecting non-standard hitch to my tractor

/ Connecting non-standard hitch to my tractor #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I bought a Berkelman off road dump trailer a while back. I am just now wanting to put it into service for some firewood work.

I went to connect it to the tractor and ... whoa ... I'm not sure how to do it? Here is a pix of the front tongue of the trailer. The end section that will take a pin will spin 360 degrees?

How would you connect it up?

BerkelmanHitchA.jpg

/ Connecting non-standard hitch to my tractor #2  
Must be so if the trailer flips it won't flip the ATV?

On edit: Sorry I didn't know you have never used your draw bar before, I thought you were asking why it spins 360..

/ Connecting non-standard hitch to my tractor #3  
That's a standard draw bar setup. Just slip the drawbar in between the forks and slip a pin through it.

/ Connecting non-standard hitch to my tractor
Thanks! I've attached implements but never used a drawbar. Now to see if I have one ....

/ Connecting non-standard hitch to my tractor #5  
Thanks! I've attached implements but never used a drawbar. Now to see if I have one ....

image-2836284101.jpg

If you don't have one of these sticking out from beneath the rear axle, you can purchase one of these and attach it to the 3 pt.

image-2600561670.jpg

Thanks! I know I have the second bar that is pictured. I'll connect it up tomorrow and see how it fastens up!

/ Connecting non-standard hitch to my tractor #7  
If you use the 3 point drawbar with a trailer, you need to chain the 3 point arms down or you can get in a situation where the trailer lifts the arms along with the bar. A belly bar is the best way to go with it.

/ Connecting non-standard hitch to my tractor #8  
You'll be more stable over rough/uneven ground if you go with a draw bar.

That is very helpful, thank you. I looked at several of their videos looking for something like this. Yes, this one shows exactly how to do it. Perfect.

UPDATE: I found my (cab) tractor has a belly bar. (Did not check the SCUT yet.) It was pushed all the way forward, invisible unless you crawl under the tractor. I extended it backward and it will be the perfect matchup for the trailer. Thank you all again.

Last edited: