Considering a new Case Farmall Series A

/ Considering a new Case Farmall Series A #1  

sseelhoff

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 35
After 10 years, I have determined that my John Deere 2320 needs to go. At 373 replaced the drive shaft due to maintenance instructions failing to advise that the shaft had zertz for greasing. Serviced by dealerships, and they did not service. After blowing it out, they refused to stand behind the product. Now 391 hours the hydro transmission shaft blew out, due to the drive shaft failure. Wanna guess what JD says? Lift Arm on the rear hydraulics also broke at about 385 hours. This machine is not abused. It's used for lots of mowing and the occasional dirt work with the FEL. Serviced every 100 hours with oil and filter changes, and the zertz fittings (that we know about per the manual) greased regularly. Garage stored when not in use.

Reading a lot on line about the design problems with the Yanmar 24 in this model particularly that lead to the series of failures. So we're dumping it after this latest breakdown. JD hat is going in the burn pile. (Yes, I'm ticked off at JD right now) We have a New Holland dealer here in town. Nice folks-we've purchased parts for the JD in the past.

Thoughts on the New Holland Boomer versus the Case Farmall A Series? Going to upgrade into the 33 hp range. We have 10 acres total. 8 is in row crops that are farmed for us, so I don't touch them. The other two are grass pastures for the horse, and gravel drive that I maintain with the FEL (moving based, gravel, etc.)

Input welcome, questions too.

Thanks.

/ Considering a new Case Farmall Series A #2  
If you are looking at the case and the Boomer why not look at the last ? LS manufacturs theses tractors for them and are cheaper with more options included.

/ Considering a new Case Farmall Series A
Thanks. I just found that online.

Had no idea. Have read that the Shiabura units were better than the LS? Any truth to that or is that unsupported opinion?

Last edited:
   / Considering a new Case Farmall Series A #4  
I am not a fan of the shiabura engines . The new LS engines have a better regen system in my opinion. But that is my opinion. As far as the quality of the tractor I will put it up against any color tractor out there.

I am not a fan of the shiabura engines . The new LS engines have a better regen system in my opinion. But that is my opinion. As far as the quality of the tractor I will put it up against any color tractor out there.

Thanks for the input. I guess I need to test drive. Dang it. You know what a chore riding around on a new tractor can be. :D

Just found another advantage to the upgrade. I can use the new tractor to move the horse trailer around the farm and into the barn (empty, of course) without having to hook up to the truck. Score!

/ Considering a new Case Farmall Series A #6  
What ever you do, do not go with a Massey ferguson. Agco bought Massey ferguson and they are running it into the ground. I ha've a little massey ferguson compact tractor about 30 hp. It is broke more than is running. Agco won't stand behind their tractor. Funny thing is they wanted me to trade. They could not understand why I'm done with Massey ferguson. Massey ferguson tractor are a hard sell around here, nobody wants one. Everything is John Deere and case-ih with a few Kubota and New Holland tractors scattered throughout the country.

/ Considering a new Case Farmall Series A #7  
AGCO=the MTD of farm equipment.

Thanks for the head's up on Massey. I looked at a 1736 yesterday. 2015 model with 2.5 hours. Selling as new even though it has been sitting outside and nit being run. Sitting that long concerns me. Sun damage is cosmetic. Shifting the ranges was tough. Didn't want to move from high to medium easily. It loosened up, but the salesman really had to lay into it at first. 0% financing is a joke. If you finance, you pay more for the tractor. Closest dealer is over an hour away.

/ Considering a new Case Farmall Series A #9  
The boomer and the case are the exact same tractor made by ls.

/ Considering a new Case Farmall Series A #10  
AGCO=the MTD of farm equipment.
MTD has turned a lot of good names into junk, IF you think AGCO has done or is doing "that", then you haven't owned much AGCO equipment!

Like other brands, AGCO has made some mistakes, but they also have made some VERY good moves too and I like the AGCO products I own, it just keeps on making me money!

SR