considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger

/ considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Hi Everyone,

It has probably been a year since I last chceked in. Still loving and learning how to operate my BX23S.

Now I have a chance to buy a Kubota G Series, G2000 Garden Tractor (production years were 1989-97) and it is in good, well maintained condition with 800 hrs on it. A friend is selling, and just needs it gone, he has it listed for $2000 Cdn , he's offered it to some for $1500, but I think that I can get it for $1200 Canadian. I just don't really need it, but it would be a nice upgrade from the older 12 hp John Deere that I have.

Photos / specs tell me the following ... 4WS - not sure what that is ?; manual steering, 21 hp; hydrostatic; Liquid cooled; high back seat, open deck, 5 foot mower deck, rear bagger. I don't have the serial # details, so I'm uncertain of what specific year it is.

It is located 5 hrs away from me, I am in the busy part of tax season until JUNE, so I can't really even get down to check it out / buy it yet. I don't think delivery is an option, but you never know. My truck will be insured in about a month.

To those of you that are familiar with this unit, is it worthy of consideration ? I'm liking the 21 hp, hydrostatic, open deck. The rear bagger probably would not be used, and the highback seat may be a bit cumbersome for me though it all looks good.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

/ considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger #2  
Here is a post from a different forum.

Re: Kubota G2000 in reply to glmpa, 12-11-2018 17:57:58
That series of Kubota are as good a tractor as they ever built, they dont die from worn out, they die from being neglected. I have the diesel version G1900, year 1998, 1500 hours and runs as new. There isn't a new model I would trade it for. I know of several gassers around and other than fuel usage, no complaints. As TRK said previous maintenance practices would be more of a concern for me than 1200 hours. "been maintained" is thrown out loosely by dealers and people selling such. A lot can be told by just looking at it. Seldom will an owner take good care of a unit cosmetically and neglect the rest of the tractor. In the same notion when I see a unit that is beat to heck and looks like it has never been inside and they say "been maintained" I think, Ya right!. At 1200 hours I would expect many years out of it with no more than tune ups and regular maintenance. The weaknesses are few. Grass gets into the screen in front of the radiator and if the operator is diligent about removing and cleaning it (takes 10 seconds) the engine will runs hot and shorten life. Complicating this is the temp gauges are known to stick and not read correctly. The drive shafts for the deck are VERY spendy and wear out quickly when not greased.

4ws means 4 wheel steer - the rear wheels turn also for tighter turns. It would be quite an upgrade for you.

/ considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger
thank you so much airbiscuit, that is great information. I thought exactly that, that the 4WS was 4 wheel steering. the video is excellent to, that unit would be newer than the one that my friend is selling. I think the one that I am looking at is a gas model, and that's okay, but I will be asking him. thanks again for the great reply.

/ considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger #4  
It’s gasoline the best I can tell. I’m sure it’s a durable lawnmower but it’s missing the best part. Now if it’s the good Kubota gasoline that’s still a dang good motor.

/ considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger #5  
The video is of a 3 cylinder Kubota gas engine. It sounds like a great deal to me.

/ considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger #6  
bota1.jpgbota2.jpg

I just got this G1900 and have been going through it. I replaced the driveshaft universals and yokes. Have deck off now and sprucing it up. Very well built machine if it is what you need.
Will be used as a yard work trailer hauler and a backup for my ZTR. Though the gas engine may not be a desirable as the diesel being it is a Kubota gas I would not be turned off by that.

22R

/ considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger #7  
Hi Everyone,

It has probably been a year since I last chceked in. Still loving and learning how to operate my BX23S.

Now I have a chance to buy a Kubota G Series, G2000 Garden Tractor (production years were 1989-97) and it is in good, well maintained condition with 800 hrs on it. A friend is selling, and just needs it gone, he has it listed for $2000 Cdn , he's offered it to some for $1500, but I think that I can get it for $1200 Canadian. I just don't really need it, but it would be a nice upgrade from the older 12 hp John Deere that I have.

Photos / specs tell me the following ... 4WS - not sure what that is ?; manual steering, 21 hp; hydrostatic; Liquid cooled; high back seat, open deck, 5 foot mower deck, rear bagger. I don't have the serial # details, so I'm uncertain of what specific year it is.

It is located 5 hrs away from me, I am in the busy part of tax season until JUNE, so I can't really even get down to check it out / buy it yet. I don't think delivery is an option, but you never know. My truck will be insured in about a month.

To those of you that are familiar with this unit, is it worthy of consideration ? I'm liking the 21 hp, hydrostatic, open deck. The rear bagger probably would not be used, and the highback seat may be a bit cumbersome for me though it all looks good.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I would buy it in a heartbeat, if you did not, but I am 3,000 + miles away.
If you can get it for $1,200 to $1,400 CDN...GET IT !!!!

/ considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger #8  
It’s gasoline the best I can tell. I’m sure it’s a durable lawnmower but it’s missing the best part. Now if it’s the good Kubota gasoline that’s still a dang good motor.

YUP!
Tractordata.com shows the G2000 to be a gas model.

/ considering purchase of a Kubota G2000 Garden Tractor, 5 foot mower deck, rearbagger
I'm plotting... first, figuring out if someone who goes to that area regularly, can pick it up 5 hrs away, and deliver it to me for $100 ? I'll keep you all posted :)

I don't really "NEED" it, but ... I think it would keep the tenant happy to help out also, so there is that benefit. Trying to keep people here long term, who are trustworthy and also interested in hobby farming.