Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #911  
You have some absolutely amazing photos so I went back to some of mine to see about getting an enlargement printed. I've discovered a problem. My photos come out at 180 dpi so apparently that means an 8x10 is about the biggest I can go without pixilation. I'm using a Cannon PowerShot SX620 HS with most settings set for automatic. What I'm finding is that the dpi comes out at 180 and there doesn't seem to be way to select a different setting to improve that. It's a 20 Mp camera so I was expecting better. I've looked at online poster print places and they recommend 300 dpi and not less than 150 for a small poster size. I downloaded your last waterfall picture to check out it's specs and it's listed as 280 dpi. How do you get that?

/ Cool Nature Photos
You have some absolutely amazing photos so I went back to some of mine to see about getting an enlargement printed. I've discovered a problem. My photos come out at 180 dpi so apparently that means an 8x10 is about the biggest I can go without pixilation. I'm using a Cannon PowerShot SX620 HS with most settings set for automatic. What I'm finding is that the dpi comes out at 180 and there doesn't seem to be way to select a different setting to improve that. It's a 20 Mp camera so I was expecting better. I've looked at online poster print places and they recommend 300 dpi and not less than 150 for a small poster size. I downloaded your last waterfall picture to check out it's specs and it's listed as 280 dpi. How do you get that?
I have 2 cameras. One is 24MP that I use for action. The other that I use for everything else is 42MP. The waterfall was taken at 42MP, but was cropped some. Also, the photos I post online are smaller versions of the original.

Here's a useful chart for MP vs print size at 300dpi. Keep in mind though, 300dpi is only needed if viewing at a normal "reading" distance. Larger prints are usually viewed from further away, which means you don't need 300dpi to perceive the same sharpness. Billboards are huge and printed at quite a low dpi.

Design215 Megapixels and Print Size Chart

/ Cool Nature Photos #913  
Printing fascinates me. When I worked at the newspaper I was raised on laser typesetters. Spent about 25 years with them. I was sent to the manufacturer several times to take the same training their factory service technicians took. I was able to operate, maintain, and repair them. At the time I left, I had a pair of laser typesetters that printed at 1050dpi. So that's a bit over 1,000,000 dots per square inch. The printed image size we used at the time was 10" x 22". So that's 10x22x1,000,000= 220,000,000 points of control on a single page of newsprint..... in 30 seconds, on a moving target. Laser printers are darned impressive pieces of technology. ;)

/ Cool Nature Photos
Printing fascinates me. When I worked at the newspaper I was raised on laser typesetters. Spent about 25 years with them. I was sent to the manufacturer several times to take the same training their factory service technicians took. I was able to operate, maintain, and repair them. At the time I left, I had a pair of laser typesetters that printed at 1050dpi. So that's a bit over 1,000,000 dots per square inch. The printed image size we used at the time was 10" x 22". So that's 10x22x1,000,000= 220,000,000 points of control on a single page of newsprint..... in 30 seconds, on a moving target. Laser printers are darned impressive pieces of technology. ;)

Dang. You ain't kiddin'!

/ Cool Nature Photos #917  
Lots of favorites, but these seem worthy of sharing...

_DII7298.jpg_1D42548.jpg_AB_1229.jpg

Attachments

• Umbagog 6.jpg
    Umbagog 6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
   / Cool Nature Photos #920  
I started this thread a year ago with pictures from a trip to West Virginia. Never thought it would still be going a year later!
As it turns out, I went back to the same area a week ago and got a lot more cool shots.
Here are a few of my favorites. The star trails is probably my #1 from the trip.
And thanks to everyone who posts in this thread and keeps it going. I love seeing everyone's nature photos!

Your pix are absolutely amazing, man!