Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #611  
I had no idea that summer run steelhead were called skamania. I'm curious, do they get all the way to the ocean?

Nope. They stay in Lake Michigan. The trout go out for a few years, then come back up the rivers and spawn, then return to the lake, whereas the salmon go out for a few years, come back up the rivers, spawn and die. There's little natural reproduction of trout or salmon in our river, so no guilt in eating them VS catch and release. They are almost all stocked by the DNR.

/ Cool Nature Photos #612  
Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan all have good salmon and trout fisheries from lake Michigan. Michigan also has Lakes Superior and Huron.

/ Cool Nature Photos #613  
Interesting, that must be quite the trip! I think around here, we call fresh water only steelhead, rainbow trout, but im not a biologist, but my sister is an ichthyologist. :)

/ Cool Nature Photos #614  
Interesting, that must be quite the trip! I think around here, we call fresh water only steelhead, rainbows, but im not a biologist, but my sister is an ichthyologist. :)

Yep. I think it's something like 70 miles of river. 5 dams with fish ladders.

/ Cool Nature Photos #615  
Cherry tree in all its glory. Soon the pink ‘snow’ IMG_0991.jpg
will begin!

Frank

/ Cool Nature Photos #616  
09A54109-4747-423D-8BFD-31C5C2695AC8.jpeg
Osprey diving in pond for gold fish - yesterday.

/ Cool Nature Photos #618  
That Osprey shot is amazing.

/ Cool Nature Photos #619  
That Osprey shot is amazing.

I see an osprey several times a week while eating lunch, but I only have a cell phone camera, so no way to take pic that far out. Pretty fun to watch them fly around and around and around and then, swoop! Miss a lot of times, but often come up with fish bigger than what I catch on average. :laughing: