Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,621  
Two bald eagles (young pair) attacked our local Great Blue Heron (solitary shallow water fisher) and killed it. My cameras recorded it but I do not plan to post the frames. Brutal. The heron had been fishing our beach for years and was no threat to the eagles. Nature, but it still pissed me off.

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,622  
Two bald eagles (young pair) attacked our local Great Blue Heron (solitary shallow water fisher) and killed it. My cameras recorded it but I do not plan to post the frames. Brutal. The heron had been fishing our beach for years and was no threat to the eagles. Nature, but it still pissed me off.
Well, herons are known to eat everything they can, including other birds. Especially young waterfowl.

While brutal to watch, it’s nature.

You might find this interesting…

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,623  
Well, herons are known to eat everything they can, including other birds. Especially young waterfowl.

While brutal to watch, it’s nature.

You might find this interesting…

Victim shaming? The local bald eagles regularly steal from osprey which are purely fisher birds, hard working with the decline of salmon and other species.

We had barn owls in our 18,000 sq ft barn that kept the mice at bay for years. Eagles moved in and decided to take down the barn owls about 5 years ago. No owls ahve been able to reestablish themselves. Mice explosion.

I am sure it will be a long time before herons reestablish on our beach. Many people like bald eagles because they are "pretty", but they do not see the downside. The protections the bald eagles have now in this area allow them to displace other valuable species.

Last edited:
   / Cool Nature Photos #1,624  
Victim shaming? The local bald eagles regularly steal from osprey which are purely fisher birds, hard working with the decline of salmon and other species.

We had barn owls in our 18,000 sq ft barn that kept the mice at bay for years. Eagles moved in and decided to take down the barn owls about 5 years ago. No owls ahve been able to reestablish themselves. Mice explosion.

I am sure it will be a long time before herons reestablish on our beach. Many people like bald eagles because they are "pretty", but they do not see the downside. The protections the bald eagles have now in this area allow them to displace other valuable species.
Or could be looked at as reestablishing the diversity that was there before the eagle population was disturbed.

I've notice in our area, the change in rabbit population. I don't know why, but i don't see any rabbits anymore. Not complaining about that, but makes we wonder if the noticeable increase in owls might have something to do with it, or the feral cats.

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,625  
I usually have several gopher snakes hanging out around my buildings. One morning not long ago two of them were in my breezeway - I ignore them and they ignore me. I went in the garage and found a mouse had been caught in a trap so I removed it and tossed it out near the snakes. Didn't matter that it was already dead and cold - one of the snakes swallowed it down. I have a video of the snake swallowing it - watching that huge lump moving through the snake's skinny neck and down to its belly was quite interesting.
001rTBN7-10-22.jpg

Last edited:
   / Cool Nature Photos #1,626  
Or could be looked at as reestablishing the diversity that was there before the eagle population was disturbed.

I've notice in our area, the change in rabbit population. I don't know why, but i don't see any rabbits anymore. Not complaining about that, but makes we wonder if the noticeable increase in owls might have something to do with it, or the feral cats.
We’ve had a rabbit population explosion this year.
Groundhogs, too.
It was a mild winter.

Picture from our local zoo Friday night. Three groundhogs in the kangaroo exhibit. Two were eating in the grass. This one was in the kangaroo food bowl. 🙃

1DD6A991-2697-45C9-9C6C-76DD05EDD555.jpeg

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,627  
We’ve had a rabbit population explosion this year.
Groundhogs, too.
It was a mild winter.

Picture from our local zoo Friday night. Three groundhogs in the kangaroo exhibit. Two were eating in the grass. This one was in the kangaroo food bowl.

View attachment 753580
I like that shed's look.
It looks a lot like a log cabin but wouldn't have the maintenance. That would make a great hunting cabin if made bigger, and a nicer porch on it.
Wonder where you get siding like that?
(Or is it just me that likes it?).