Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #1  

Yogi05

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T25 Foton TB504
Thought there might be some stories to tell and pics to show.

I don't have a picture but here's my first contribution.

Deer hunting. Standing on the edge of a sort of meadow I see something under a juniper bush not far away.
I take a look and it stopped me in my tracks.
Under the bush there was a baby blanket with "something" wrapped in it.
I didn't know whether to call police or take a look for myself. I didn't want to contaminate a possible crime scene
but I also didn't want to draw police out for something silly or nothing at all.
I decided to note where I walked/stood, and gently pulled back an edge of the blanket.

It was a teddy bear wrapped up.
Thank God, but still a darned creepy thing to find in the bush.

At my local shooting range, in the center of the property which is all trees, there were remains of an old 1930s truck.
Well beyond restoration. Unrecognizable really.
I asked the landowner who would have left that there. He knew it was there but couldn't guess who left it.
His family has owned the property for generations.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #2  
Our first home was built right after WWII. After we moved in, I started a garden. I dug up a metal soldier, about 4 inches high. It was in WWI uniform, and it looks to be cast iron. I also dug up a set of eye glass frames, that appeared to be very old.

I recalling telling my Dad about this, and he said "Well, I can remember when that area was the city land fill. They just bulldozed it flat and built all of those houses on it.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #3  
My 80 acres is part of an old 360 acre federal land grant. Much like a homestead. Granted to the homesteader is 1892. He never had electricity here. Amongst the old buildings - barn & chicken coops - I found several wooden boxes of old dry cell batteries. The old man and his wife must have had a radio of some type.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #4  
When we bought our house, there was an old metal shed the po used to store firewood in, was probably 1/4 full, I didn't like it, but used the wood, and started to tear it down, in the corner was a cat skeleton, poor guy was probably sleeping in there and got conked on the head, when they were stocking.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #5  
Funny thing. After reading this thread my web homepage showed a link to

"The creepiest things people have found after moving to a new house."​

I've come across a fair amount of interesting things while out in the woods... always when I didn't have a camera. One hot summer's day while cruising timber outside of Gorham NH I came across the remains of an old flume, which they apparently used to slide logs down the mountain. On a cold, windy, bitter January day I was walking down a hill and noticed a hemlock tree had been completely stripped of it's branches. as I neared I saw two bears laying on a bed of boughs in the snow with tail to nose, nose to tail and the tree between them. It looked like a big bear donut with a tree growing between them.

Yet another time, working one rainy day when I came across what I first thought was an underground bunker. There was a hole just big enough for somebody to squeeze through, and although it was dark there appeared to be a bed or something inside. Upon closer examination I discovered that I was in a small gravel "borrow" pit and was looking through the windshield frame of an old service truck. It had been pushed off to the side, then partially covered with the tailings from the pit. What I thought was a bed was actually the truck seat.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #6  
We found a maple vat from an old mapling house,
Blue glass from a small glass blower
The old CC camp foundations.
All pretty close (<mile) from my uncles house in MA.
The Mapling house was about 200' into the woods.

The blue glass "factory" not far away from the mapling house.

The CC camp off in the woods (state park) . Mostly stone base, but some walls still standing, this was back many years ago when I was a kid.

We found many old abandoned houses in the woods back in the state forest.

Old cars chassis here and there too.

Have not found much on my property, just old stone wall, old tree stand, old 2stroke muffler. Nothing too fun.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #7  
Dunno...can this be considered "cool" or "creepy"?
DSC03456rtbn.jpg

It was nice enough to warn me to keep my distance. No mistaking that buzz...

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #8  
Found some used condoms back in the woods out behind the house in the grass. I certainly hope whoever used them didn't get ate up by the skeeters back there....lol Guess you cannot put a price on fun....

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #9  
A Studebaker Hawk. Wonder if it's still back there?

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #10  
Back when Loring Air Force was still a base in northern Maine, we found the cargo door to a plane out in the woods. More recently (20 years ago, +-) I was on my cruise line when I started seeing hardware hanging from the trees; wires with electrical connections and bolts still attached. Then I found 1/2 of a bomb!
Being the nosy type I had to check it out... in hindsight, not a wise thing to do. I looked it over, recording the numbers on the side in case I found somewhere to report it; and had to pick it up so that I could see the entire number.
Suddenly I heard tick,
tick
Tick
Tick
TICK
TICKTICKTICKTICKTICK!

Of course it was a hollow shell, there must have been a bolt in there which rolled down the fuselage.

A coworker once found an unopened parachute next to a pile of bones...