Cost for Hot Shot Service

/ Cost for Hot Shot Service #1  

roadhunter

Elite Member
Tractor
JCB 212SU
I was listing a load on u-ship and it got me wondering what the going rate was for a hot shot service these days. I used to have a guy back in Oklahoma about 6 years ago who would move equipment for $1.65 a loaded mile. These days my local truckers are running between $2.50-$4.00 a loaded mile depending on the trailer. $2.50 is flat bed and $4.00 is a live floor 115 yard trailer.

Any idea what that service is running these days?

/ Cost for Hot Shot Service #2  
Hot shot as in you need it hauled yesterday or just need it hauled? I have a 53' step deck primarily for hauling my own equipment but I do sometimes haul for hire. Rates depend on how long of the haul but I am happy to haul things for around $2 a loaded mile. Long hauls I have done as low as $1.50 and short hauls where I spend more time loading and unloading than driving are sometimes $5 a mile or more.

$1.75-$2.25 a mile is a good range for going rates. Sometimes you will find people on uship willing to haul for less than that but they are most likely flying under the radar with no commercial insurance, no operating authority etc. Fuel prices are low which has brought rates down but still like everything else things cost more now than they did six years ago.

What do you need hauled?

/ Cost for Hot Shot Service #3  
On uship beware the brokers...
I like dealing with the independents as I know I'm dealing with the hauler rather than thru an unknown third party.

/ Cost for Hot Shot Service #4  
I just got a quote for a hot shot driver to transport my new trailer from NE to NY, 1,100 miles for $1,750. Seems like a fair quote.

/ Cost for Hot Shot Service #5  
A local guy just quoted me $450 to haul a 16K dozer 180 miles....the dozer sold before I could get to it, but he said that was a typical rate for the area.

/ Cost for Hot Shot Service #6  
A local guy just quoted me $450 to haul a 16K dozer 180 miles....the dozer sold before I could get to it, but he said that was a typical rate for the area.

Thats about right for a small dozer like that on a short haul.