Counterweights for sprayer on X738

/ Counterweights for sprayer on X738 #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
I'm looking to make a frame for the back of my X738 for a sprayer. I have not yet pinned down the model of sprayer, but it will probably be a 16 or 26 gal unit from Northern. Filled with water that comes in at 128 or 208 lbs plus the sprayer which looks like 25ish. Then add a stainless frame out of angle which might be another 50 lbs at most (more likely in the 20-25 lb range), and I'm looking at a total rear load of 200-300 lbs. Obviously things are still in flux as I have not bought anything yet (other than the leftover SS I have from earlier projects) so I am open to suggestions. Spraying would be primarily for weeds, prob a 2-4-D variant for the most part. So that's the first part I am looking for any advice on.

So the second part is front counterweights. I have some very steep areas I mow, which is why I ended up with the 4wd mower, so I need to make sure I am not going to get tippy with that extra weight hanging off the rear. I could certainly make weights from concrete to hang on the front frame, or I see Deere has them available for like $60 ea for a 42 lb weight, but I may need to buy some additional overpriced bracket to hang those. So how much weight should I be looking to add? I would expect the sprayer is going to have a bigger moment arm as it will stick out more than the front weights. It looks like the overpriced bracket can hold 9 so 378 lbs there. I am guessing that is overkill but really don't have a feel for how much to aim for. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

/ Counterweights for sprayer on X738 #2  
You have the materials to make the frame however you want, so put the thing on wheels as a trailer. No front stuff needed.

/ Counterweights for sprayer on X738 #3  
I trailer the tank and put the spray bar on the front weight bracket.. doesn't weigh much but sure is a lot handier to guide the spray around obstacles than having it out in back behind.. somewhere.

But for the OP, just hang some 40# suitcase weights on the front weight bar.. should be no problem then. Appears that some 42# weights will slip on the front without the addition of the purchased bigger weight bracket.

A close-up pic of what you have would answer that..

/ Counterweights for sprayer on X738
A trailer is a valid suggestion, but unfortunately not very workable on my lot. There are no open spaces or straight runs, it is a constant twist/turn/back up/go forward/back up/go forward so a trailer would be a nightmare for me. I need to mount it as tight to the rear of the machine as possible for maneuverability.

The front looks just like the main photo here:
Lawn Mower Tractor | X738 | Signature Series | John Deere US
No extra brackets on there right now, but i know I can give the Greene people $200 for a weight bracket that mounts there. Or I can just hang homemade weights directly on it, as is. The question remains - How much weight?

Thanks for the input!

/ Counterweights for sprayer on X738 #5  
Can you mount it on the front? Put your weight there and be able to see where you're spraying. Or are you using a hand wand?

If your only choice is on the back, try to go as low as possible. That will keep the COG low and you may not need the front weight, or would need less.

Interesting thought on the front. I'm sure I could make something work, but I'm not real keen on driving into the spray. Of course if the wind is coming behind you, it might be the same on the back too... I'll take a look at my options there, though I know the rear will be a lot easier as I have the QA mounting frame for the bagger that allows easy attachment. Keeping it low is also in the plan.

/ Counterweights for sprayer on X738 #8  
Deere recommends four 42lb weights when using their 25 gal sprayer. I would start there since the X738 can hold four without buying an additional bracket.

Attachments

• X739 blades from phone 015.jpg
    X739 blades from phone 015.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
Excellent. Thank you for that info Eric and Ruffdog. I looked into the Deere sprayer a bit from your recommendation and that helps out a lot. I see better how the "click and go" works now. I wasn't aware of their sprayer previously. And 4x42=168, so I can figure out how to get to there either with the Deere weights, aftermarket or DIY.

Thanks guys!