Covering a rotary cutter

/ Covering a rotary cutter #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
At the end of each cutting season I cover my rotary cutter with a tarp. I don't have enough room for inside storage. I'm sure I get a lot of condensation/moisture under the tarp. Would it potentially be better just to leave it out in the weather? Give me your thoughts to consider.

/ Covering a rotary cutter #2  
Get it up on blocks so its off the wet ground and leave the tarp loose enough so air can get under it and evaporate moisture.

/ Covering a rotary cutter #3  
What he said or do you have room in storage on which to stack it? My brother has a SSQA plate with three point hitch to move or stack equipment.

/ Covering a rotary cutter #4  
My bad experiences at creating rust from covering things sitting on dirt has led me to focus more on keep sun off of stuff in the yard by finding shade, but not by tarping (except for boats which are all tarped but well off of the ground too). Water ands snow sloofs off of my Woods cutter without trapping anything. As a result, I only put a bag around the driveshaft's exposed U-joint.

/ Covering a rotary cutter
The cutter is on a couple of pallets and the pallets are blocked up off the ground. During warm weather it is on the pallets in shade uncovered. So far I can't see much deterioration. I'm guessing it will outlive me so not a lot of concern or lost sleep. Just thought I would ask the TBN experts to weigh in.

/ Covering a rotary cutter #6  
I've never been a fan of tarps...
I would prefer leaving it out and up on blocks...
We always kept our tractors, drills, and the such under shed...
The bush hogs no...
I would purchase one of those canvas covers if I wanted it out of the sun and spray it down with fluid film...
Heavy-Duty Frame Canopies | Northern Tool + Equipment

/ Covering a rotary cutter #7  
Water cut the Grand Canyon. I keep tarps on all of my implements and I live in one of the rainiest parts of the US. I don't have any excessive rust on any of them.

/ Covering a rotary cutter #8  
Water cut the Grand Canyon. I keep tarps on all of my implements and I live in one of the rainiest parts of the US. I don't have any excessive rust on any of them.

My mother always told me the Grand Canyon resulted when a Scotsman accidentally dropped a nickel down a gopher hole...are you suggesting my mother may have been misleading me?

/ Covering a rotary cutter #9  
Get it up on blocks so its off the wet ground and leave the tarp loose enough so air can get under it and evaporate moisture.
I agree with this. Exactly what I do.