Planters Covington Planters

/ Covington Planters #1  

Stoner

Bronze Member
I am looking to purchase a planter. I have been looking at the Covington, Cole, and the Yetter Flex 71 single row planters. I think I have narrowed it down to the Covington and the Yetter Flex 71 single row planters. I think I am leaning towards the Covington planter. I would be using the planter to plant a couple acre vegetable garden behind my house and probably use the planter to plant a couple of small food plots for deer. I would be planting large seed such as corn, watermelon, lima beans, sunflower seeds etc. I would also be planting small seeds like okra, eggplant etc. Whether it is right or wrong I heard the Yetter does not do a good job with smaller seeds. I contacted Covington with a list of the vegetables that I intended on planting and they said they had plates for all those seeds. My question is for any Covington planter owners or people that are familiar with the Covington. I was wondering how they like the Covington? Is it well made and durable? Is it hard to set up? Do you have to keep a lot of seed in the hopper to keep it primed? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have already tilled my property and I am ready to plant.

/ Covington Planters #2  
I have no idea what model or how old they are but we use covington planters for corn, and smaller seeds also. Where in florida are you? We just went to the Massey place in Quincy Fla 3 weeks ago and got new plates, and fertaliser parts. They had every thing we needed in stock.

/ Covington Planters
Pat I am a bit south of you in Brooksville, FL. I am very familiar with Havana, I go through there all the time going to my hunting camp in Alabama. You have to look out for those speed traps in Havana. Thanks for the post on the Covington planter. How do you like the planter? Is it easy to set up and use? What was the name of the place in Quincy where you purchased your parts?

/ Covington Planters #4  
Clark-Monroe Tractor Co. Quincy Fla. 850-875-3100
Quincy is about 15 miles west of Havana. I can not remember the mans name we dealt with but he was very helpfull, we carried all the plates we had and he told us what they were for. The covington planters are very easy to set up, there is a chart you look up the spacing you want between the seeds, then swap out the sprockets and put in the correct plates and go farmin. (Dont plant corn with peanut plates!! the stalks will only be 1" apart:eek: dont ask me how I know this LOL.

/ Covington Planters
Thanks Pat for the information. I have family up that way in Quincy and I will have to stop by there when we have a family reunion this summer.