Cows in a horse trailer?

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #1  
Tractor
Mahindra 2538, Oliver 550
I am in the market for a small livestock trailer. I will be hauling a couple of cows every now and then. I see lots of 2 horse trailers within my budget...but I don't have a horse, only cows. The livestock trailers are usually bigger than I need and more expensive. Can I haul cows in a horse trailer? Some people say "NO WAY!!! Are you crazy?!?!" But they can never tell me why.

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #2  
Back in the day....we hauled horses in a cow trailer.

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #3  
Getting a cow to load in a small two horse side by side trailer would be very hard. They generally aren't tame anywhere near that of a horse. Also, cows are much wider and those trailers tend to be pretty narrow. You might be able to load a show heffer in one but besides that it would be dicey. I'd look for a 16' bumper pull. Might need to replace some boards or tires but they can be had for a decent price

Brett

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #4  
Get the 2 horse trailer and cut the center out of it that way they can turn around, cows generally like to go forward.

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #5  
As long as you can open it up (or if its a 16+ foot one, split it front and rear) it should be fine.

Aaron Z

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #6  
I've hauled horses in a livestock trailer and cows, hogs, sheep, if it walks I put it in the trailer. For years I hauled cows in a pickup with racks, thought we were in heaven when the trailer came.

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #7  
I've done it plenty of times. I just remove the center divider.

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #8  
Yes- I have hauled a few cows in a small bumper pull horse trailer with the center divider removed- but just one at a time.

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #9  
We have a friend that raises beef and his daughter showed horses in high school. He has a trailer very similar to this. He's been taking cows, two at a time, to the butcher every spring for about 10 years. Hauls the horses to shows. Took a couple pigs in this year. Cleans it out and moves stuff for people when they need furniture moved, move to new house, etc... its a really useful type of trailer.

824_1.jpg

/ Cows in a horse trailer? #10  
Cattle may be a little difficult to load because of the trailer being short and the front being closed in. Cattle, as with most animals, don't like to go where they can't see into the future. Anticipate loading in advance and feed cubes in the trailer front a few days and it usually solves the loading problem.