Coyote Ran by Me Today

/ Coyote Ran by Me Today #1  

Bob77064

Elite Member
Tractor
2011 LS R3039
Today about 3:00 pm when I was cutting the grass a coyote ran by about 50 feet from me. There are lots of coyotes in the woods around us. This is the first time I have seen one out in the open in the bright sun. Attatched is a picture that looks like the one I saw.

Attachments

• coyote-1.jpg
    coyote-1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 469
   / Coyote Ran by Me Today #3  
Its common practice around here for guys to have a 12 guage or .22 rifle on board just for that reason. Yotes' don't give much thought to farm machinery activities and often end up quite close too swathers, tractors or combines.

I've done the .22 trick a couple times, missed with the .44 redhawk revolver and the shotgun was a little slow due to length clanking and banging on everything to get the barrel pointed in the right direction. My favorite so far is the trim, little ruger bolt in .223, drops them right now, fast pointing and a little more range.

/ Coyote Ran by Me Today
Its common practice around here for guys to have a 12 guage or .22 rifle on board just for that reason. Yotes' don't give much thought to farm machinery activities and often end up quite close too swathers, tractors or combines.

I've done the .22 trick a couple times, missed with the .44 redhawk revolver and the shotgun was a little slow due to length clanking and banging on everything to get the barrel pointed in the right direction. My favorite so far is the trim, little ruger bolt in .223, drops them right now, fast pointing and a little more range.

Sounds like a good solution, but we are within 400 feet of other houses and people.

/ Coyote Ran by Me Today #5  
Dang coyotes or dang field mice.

/ Coyote Ran by Me Today #6  
The last guy to pack a shotgun while out mowing around here got shot by the cops!! There were other issues but make sure the neighbors don't freak out

/ Coyote Ran by Me Today #7  
Take a look at the "found a coyote I think" thread, in the Rural Living section.

/ Coyote Ran by Me Today #8  

Darn yotes, they keep stealing my wife's cats. I keep a Ruger 10/22 on the tractor or RTV, quick to deploy, quick to aim, and brings the critter down. Use a .40 cal M&P to finish it off. If the backhoe is currently mounted, we have an instant funeral.

/ Coyote Ran by Me Today #9  
I keep a mini 14 ranch rifle handy for such a problem. I have had those stupid coyotes bother my horses and recently one went after my black lab but she probed to be more aggresive and managed to chase it off. I suspect they are the reason I no longer have any barn cats. I used to have a live and let live policy but when they started coming within 50 yards of my home and going after my dogs and bothering the horses, it's open season.

/ Coyote Ran by Me Today #10  
Yes, hard to believe we have them so far east (heck, they are even on Cape Cod (have to either swin across the canal, or walk over the bridges, They are even on the islands:Nantucket and Marthas Vineland.

They are in downtown Boston; yet it is illegal to kill them out of season!

If you can't shoot them where you are, trap or poison them. They won't go away; if there is plenty of food there for them (cats, garbage) they will stay and multiply!