Cracked Block Farmall A

/ Cracked Block Farmall A #1  

TWINKLE_TOES

Veteran Member
My A has a pin hole in the lower right hand corner of the block where it has been brazed./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif At one time the corner of the block had completely broken off then was brazed. Whoever did it, did a pretty good job. Water is getting into the engine and also weeping thru a pinhole to the outside. (kinda foamy) I can't picture how the water jacket runs in that area of the block. If someone can help I would appreciate it.
Being lazy I'm considering sand blasting and JB weld. The epoxy would be in contact with the crankcase oil on the inside and I'm not sure this works.
Thanks in advance.
Al

/ Cracked Block Farmall A #2  
I had my old dirtbike, a Honda CR450 2-stroke motocrosser, crankcase repaired with JBwelb.

I had a hole maybe 1/8" wide and 1/4" long, where the cases came together. This was at the bottom of the crankcase. It had dropped a rod, and banged up the inside of the case, as well as breaking through resulting in the hole. This area was exposed to the gas/oil 2-stroke mixture. It also had to work in the vacuum/compression cycles normal to a 2-stroke motor.

When we rebuilt the motor, we built up the broken area with JBWeld, and then carefully shaped it to original contours of the case. This took some time to do, but the end result was very clean.

I rode that bike for two years, then sold it to a friend who rode it for a year, who then it sold to someone else. It ran great that whole time.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Cracked Block Farmall A
Thanks Robert,

Maybe I should trade the tractor for a dirt bike. I really hate to take shortcuts but this time I'm going to give it a shot. Stripping the engine to the block and rebrazing dosen't appeal to me. I use the A very little (hay rides and get the mail to show it off). I have read on the http://www.yesterdaystractor.com board of other success stories with JB weld. I'm not sure how many people post their failures.

/ Cracked Block Farmall A #4  
You're only about 16 hours from me, maybe I could use another "A".

Oh man!

Nah, I gotta hold out for a 50's Cub sometime in the next 12 or so months /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif