Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I was painting my diesel fuel transfer tank yesterday afternoon (black to white) when I noticed a very small leak down one of the vertical seams. It's about 2/3 of the way down the tank. Worse, I just refilled the tank. :(

Right now, I don't have pics to show, but I'll get some this afternoon.

What are the repair options, if any? Rewelding the tank (if possible) will be done by my local welding shop, not me.

I bought this tank because it will fit a small trailer I have; I'd really rather not have to replace the. Especially given how scarce they appear to be right now; CL and FM are pretty dead for tanks around here.

Experiences, suggestions, comments?

I'll get some pics later today.

Thanks,

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #2  
Your options may depend on the age and overall condition of the tank as well as the size. Welding may not even be an option. You might consider one of the internal paint type seal coats if it's an old tank or thin metal. If you go that route just be sure to remove all fittings and plug the resulting holes.

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #3  
For now while the tank has fuel in it just rub the leak with a bar of soap. It'll stop the leak until you can repair the tank. After the tank is empty and you maybe want to experiment a little I would rough the area up good with sand paper and put a piece of heavy tin over the leak. Glue it with JB weld and keep an eye on it. Other wise it'll most likely need to be steam cleaned and welded.

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak
Overall condition is pretty good IMO. There is very little rust inside. It is however, a partially homemade tank: It originally was a L-shaped fuel tank. Someone in the past welded sides and top on the side to make it a rectangular tank. The leak is along one of the welded seams. The leak is so small, I never noticed it before; it only became visible while painting it.

Pics of the tank; you can clearly see the original vs. new part of the tank here. I *believe* the leak is along the seam closest in the pic below. Notice that there is no obvious stain or visible leak.

Thanks,

IMG_20200724_141258700_HDR (Large).jpg

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #5  
drain the tank completely. set it out in the sun over night with the leak side up.
spot weld the tiny leak the next day

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #6  
On the seam, get a short piece of aluminum angle and quick set JB weld. Slather it on copiously, place the angle over it and smear some more JB and let it set. Permanent repair.

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #7  
As long as the leak area dont flex JB will hold for diesel ------ wont hold alki-gas!

Well, I was wrong: The leak is on the factory weld; directly opposite as shown in the pic above. I'll try the JB Weld solution, when the tank level gets below the leak area. That might be a while since I just refilled it and I replaced my RTV-900 with a gas powered XG850.

Thanks,

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #9  
Not on subject but we like the 850. You issue reminds me of an incident that happened years ago in Inkster, Michigan. Driver had his tractor (road) at a shop there, fuel tank was leaking so the shop welded on it and levelled the whole place and of course people got killed too. Have no idea about the prep but was obviously lacking.

On the seam, get a short piece of aluminum angle and quick set JB weld. Slather it on copiously, place the angle over it and smear some more JB and let it set. Permanent repair.
Any reason angle iron wouldn't work?