Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak
Grind the weld a little to make a flat spot, then use a tek screw with neoprene washer - screw it into the leak directly (you could add some epoxy or JB weld to the screw before seating it). It will be sealed immediately and when the level gets below it or the tank is empty, you can fix it properly.
I'm not in any hurry, the leak is barely visible. I have some pics, but my phone is in the shop and it's raining cats and dogs. It's probably going to take me months to get the fuel level down to below the leak. I still need to talk to me my local welder and see what he recommends. The leak looks like a very flat spot, indicating a flaw during the factory welding process.

Thanks,

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #22  
The suggestion of soap definitely works for gasoline and may work for diesel.
It may take real, old-fashioned soap, like Ivory.
Saw it work on a motorcycle tank, where there was a long ride out of the sticks, and the leak could have caused a fire.
Learned it from my dad when the float sunk on our car's carburetor (remember those?).

May as well stop the leak while you use up the fuel, before a JB-weld or welded repair.

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #24  
This isn't directly comparable to your problem, but might be worth mentioning: I had a leak in my Branson's plastic diesel fuel tank. It was a pin-hole leak that I have no idea on how I got it. After mulling how to fix it I finally took some RV sealant and just rubbed it in as hard as I could using my thumb. I scrapped off the excess with a putty knife. That has been about two years or so ago, and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Might work on a metal tank too.

This isn't directly comparable to your problem, but might be worth mentioning: I had a leak in my Branson's plastic diesel fuel tank. It was a pin-hole leak that I have no idea on how I got it. After mulling how to fix it I finally took some RV sealant and just rubbed it in as hard as I could using my thumb. I scrapped off the excess with a putty knife. That has been about two years or so ago, and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Might work on a metal tank too.
Simple, cheap and effective. What's not to like?

:)

epoxy putty

Chemical resistance epoxy putty will address that issue, let dry and finish painting.
I bought this stuff. I'll apply it when it arrives:

91WjHnnhxsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #27  
That looks like a good product to try.
I wonder if you could get it clean enough with emery paper
would a dab of solder work?

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #28  
I bought this stuff. I'll apply it when it arrives:

91WjHnnhxsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I have used that on a gas tank where the tank rubbed, rusted and eventually made a hole in the tank. I let it dry for about 1hr and bolted it back up. Never leaked again.

With diesel I would just tip the tank until the fluid is below the leak, clean then tack weld thr hole.

I have used that on a gas tank where the tank rubbed, rusted and eventually made a hole in the tank. I let it dry for about 1hr and bolted it back up. Never leaked again.

With diesel I would just tip the tank until the fluid is below the leak, clean then tack weld the hole.
Really? Just weld it up? That's it?

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #30  
My tractor gas tank had a leak and it as too thin for me to weld so I made a new one. Had to settle for a 9 gallon tank instead of 14. Made it from 12 ga steel, pressure tested it with compressed air and tested for leaks with soapy water. That was 25ish years ago. Still on the tractor and no leaks.

Also made a 20 gal gas caddy in similar manner except I filled with water and pressurized with air for testing. No leaks after 15+ years.