Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #31  
Back in my day of working on Diesel tractors, we use to drain the tank on tractors and braze them with a torch and a small tip but that was on diesel fuel that was high Sulphur if that makes any difference, I do not know
I heard that they also brazed heating oil tanks like that.

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #32  
I repaired an oil pan that cracked from hitting a rock by brazing with O/A torch. Still fine after many years.

gg

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #34  
Setting it in the sun overnight sounds like a great idea.

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #35  
I repaired an oil pan that cracked from hitting a rock by brazing with O/A torch. Still fine after many years.

gg
I was a welder all my life and read a accident report where a young inexperienced guy tried that while it as still on the vehicle with the oil drained. When the oil fumes hit the right temperature it blew half his face off. Remember it only takes twice as long and twice as expensive to do it right the first time

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #36  
I was a welder all my life and read a accident report where a young inexperienced guy tried that while it as still on the vehicle with the oil drained. When the oil fumes hit the right temperature it blew half his face off. Remember it only takes twice as long and twice as expensive to do it right the first time
When I brazed the oil pan I first removed and thoroughly cleaned it inside and out. A good thing to mention as a warning. I didn't think to do the same.

gg

Last edited:
   / Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #37  
I recently brazed an oil pan for my SIL's work place. It was going to take a month to get another, they needed the machine and none of their maintenance people knew what brazing was much less how to do it. Seems to be becoming a lost art around here.

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #38  
Easy wit the right tools, OA torch and brazing rod. I have both coated and uncoated.

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #39  
Brazing would be my preference for a proper repair. For a temporary fix either epoxy as mentioned or I have personally had luck with "würth quick seal" and equivalent product you can buy without an account would be loctite instant gasket. They come in a pressurized tube, and are similar to RTV although not quite the same. A bit expensive but far more durable in my experience. There are likely other equivalent products from other suppliers, those are just the ones I have used.
It's good for all sorts of off label uses. Everything from emergency gooping up of a hydraulic fitting with damaged threads until a replacement can be sourced, to patching the toes of work boots

/ Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak #40  
Back in the 80's guys would braze exhaust pipes
together by using coat hangers to braze with

willy