cross over relief for snow plow

/ cross over relief for snow plow #1  

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
I think I need to put a cross over relief on my FEL mounted snow plow.Anyone have a parts number and pipeing diagram.It is an old Curtis truck plow ,fairly new cylinders&hoses.

/ cross over relief for snow plow #3  
jj, my plow has a single cylinder. are you saying i can add one of these cushioning valves?? i always thought you need to have double, counter acting cylinders.??

/ cross over relief for snow plow #4  
grsthegreat ,

You mean that you only have one cyl to push and let the ground force retract/close the cyl.

A relief valve can be set up on just about hyd cyl to protect that cyl, when the valve is in neutral.

No you do not need a double relief for a single action cyl.

Some valves have work port relief.

My BH bucket spool has double work port reliefs.

Last edited:
   / cross over relief for snow plow
I have two cylinders,one line to each cylinder.So single action?Again how to hook up.Thanks.

/ cross over relief for snow plow #6  
Both cylinders are single action. The crossover valve protects the extended cylinder by dumping over to the retracted cyl side.
That system only protects the extended plow corner from collisions with stationary objects like curbs etc., but then when plowing your curb side is always retracted as you push snow to the curb.
They only work with dual single action cylinders.

Install is simple: 2 inlets and 2 outlets and generally 2 adjustments for pressure 'dump over'

The only time they worked for me was when I tried to break frozen snow banks with my extended plow tip, otherwise in 10 yrs of contract plowing they never acted.

/ cross over relief for snow plow #7  
Are you saying that you dump from one cyl to another cyl.

A single SA cyl only has one side. The other side is air.

/ cross over relief for snow plow #8  
Actually most SA plow cylinders, both sides are oil. The rod don't have seals, just a large ring that keeps it from coming out the end of the barrel.

Not sure what part you need, but I know they make them. You need to dump over pressurized fluid from one cylinder to the other and vice versa in event of catching something. On a truck mount unit, the crossover valve is an integral part of the PA block on the power unit.

/ cross over relief for snow plow #9  
Bailey hydraulics sells a crossover relief valve we install on plows that lack them. Crossover relief valves are effective on plows having one double acting cylinder or two single acting cylinders.

/ cross over relief for snow plow #10  
I have always wondered, but how well do they work on a single DA cylinder due to the difference in volumes of fluid between the rod side and the base side? I just assumed they wouldnt work well at all??