Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing

/ Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing #1  

GBHRPS

Bronze Member
Tractor
CC Z Force 48
Gentlemen,

I recently broke the half inch belt that drives the 3 blade spindles of my Z Force 48. A trip to my local Cub Cadet dealer to get a replacement almost caused me to have a stroke. The price quoted for a genuine replacement was $122 CDN plus tax.

I refused to pay that and at a local bearing supply store purchased the same belt, but a generic one, for $30 CDN.

I have absolutely no issue paying for one of a kind parts that fit only a specific model of a product, because of their exclusivity, and expect that the manufacturer's costs would be higher. But when an ordinary part that is universally used on many products today, not just Cub Cadet, its just down right criminal to over price it and gouge the public.

Car companies do that with their Navigation system updates, and their key fob replacements, and it too is criminal. Charging $150 for a one year nav update on my car when my portable Garmin offers free updates for the life of the unit of its onboard storage. And where does the value of a $300 key fob replacement come from when it has all of $10 of electronics inside its plastic case?

When my Cub Cadet ages to where it really is no longer cost effective to fix ... I'll be shopping for a different brand of zero turn mower after researching the cost of their commonly replaced parts.

/ Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing #2  
Just be careful with the generic replacement belts unless they are an OEM style replacement since off the shelf belts are not the same width, depth, and cut angle, and tend to not last long on MTD products, Also related to JD products as well.

/ Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing #3  
You aren't by chance comparing a kevlar belt to a rubber belt?

You took time to find another belt. To a landscaper making money with his machine, $120.00 may be money not badly spent for one source shopping if it gets him making money again.

GM for instance is not going to sell you a starter motor for the same price as a jobber either. Just not the way "dealerships" work.

/ Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing
Industrial toys,

Oh I already had a new replacement belt on the shelf. I was up and running again in 15 minutes.

But I'm not comparing a kevlar belt to a conventional belt. When I purchased this mower I also bought all three new belts from the dealership at that time as spares, hydro drive, deck drive and blade drive belts. Only the deck drive belt was kevlar and of much heavier construction and width than the other two. And I have had to replace that particular belt twice since new, the last time at about the $75 CDN mark some 5 years ago.

When the parts guy says the price is "nuts", and then follows it up with, " I just sell the parts. I don't set the prices", your fears of a gouging are confirmed even more.

/ Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing #5  
manufacturers generally make up for discounts on finished products by gouging customers on replacement parts!. that is what has happened here. it's all about competition!.

/ Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing #6  
Customers expect a manufacturer to have many millions of dollars of inventory at hand, and then want a good deal on a little item. Someone has to pay for ALL that inventory. Much of it that will be thrown in the scrap one day.

/ Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing #8  
You wouldn't believe what we can't get. It's not uncommon for some ten dollar E-Bay item to end up costing sixty, also figuring in the 1.25 exchange rate. Wish USA would just gobble up Canada.

/ Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing #9  
If it is the 02000154 secondary belt, it lists for $63.58. Stens 265-415 is also available which are typically good belts when spec'd. As Randy stated, OEM is a better way to go on many MTD belts. Certain deck and many traction belts just don't work right. Twist wrenches on OPE long enough and you'll find out. Likely a will fit belt will do OK on a secondary if it is spec'd properly. Time will tell. Radios quote is very true. Lots of MTD belts can be pricey. People would tell me how pricey the Deere parts are. They should buy Toro rider parts if they want sticker shock.

/ Cub Cadet Outlandish Parts Pricing #10  
You wouldn't believe what we can't get. It's not uncommon for some ten dollar E-Bay item to end up costing sixty, also figuring in the 1.25 exchange rate. Wish USA would just gobble up Canada.

Not sure I'd want that to happen. You have pretty draconian firearm laws up there and 'clicks' don't cut it for me.