Cummins Layoffs due to Poor Dodge Sales

/ Cummins Layoffs due to Poor Dodge Sales #2  
No surprise. Heard this tune a million times over the past several years. I'm glad I'm not a young man looking for work these days and feel for those that are.

/ Cummins Layoffs due to Poor Dodge Sales
I hate to see it also. We as Indiana residents do not have many Crown Jewels left and Cummins is one of the few left.

Truth is Chrysler is in bad shape. Maybe worse than GM so we will have to see how this all plays out in the next 3 years or so.

Chris

/ Cummins Layoffs due to Poor Dodge Sales #4  
Obviously the economy has a lot to do with this, but also a big part is the newest round of emissions the gov has mandated. It's hurting the big truck market too. Those of us that normally trade every 4 or 5 yrs, are holding off until we see how the urea and other complications that have added weight and costs to the equipment works out.
But in the pick up class of diesels, i have quite a few loggers/farmers that have always had diesels are either hanging on to the old ones, or going to big liter gas jobs. The price of diesel is higher than gas and add that the mpg will not be as good as the old style diesels, plus the extra $6,000++ compared to a gas job, not a good combination for diesel motor sales.

Obviously the economy has a lot to do with this, but also a big part is the newest round of emissions the gov has mandated. It's hurting the big truck market too. Those of us that normally trade every 4 or 5 yrs, are holding off until we see how the urea and other complications that have added weight and costs to the equipment works out.
But in the pick up class of diesels, i have quite a few loggers/farmers that have always had diesels are either hanging on to the old ones, or going to big liter gas jobs. The price of diesel is higher than gas and add that the mpg will not be as good as the old style diesels, plus the extra $6,000++ compared to a gas job, not a good combination for diesel motor sales.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. I am holding on to my 2004 F-250 PSD and my 2006 F-350 PSD. Both have been trouble free and I do not want the new stuff until its proven. As far as the gassers go they are making that a hard to have item. The only real current option is the Ford V-10. The new small displacement gassers that are high revving are not for me. I like truck engines that make the power and torque at low RPM's.

Chris

/ Cummins Layoffs due to Poor Dodge Sales #6  
When I bought my 6.7L Cummins powered 07 Ram 3500, it was the first year Dodge reintroduced chassis/cab models. Just the 3500 in 07 then the 4500 and 5500 in 08.

They were supposed to be a competitive alternative to the Ford C/C trucks that have dominated that segment for ever.

And I believe they are at least competitive with an awesome power-train. Only problem is contractors have not been buying new trucks. Since I got mine I've only seen a handful of these beauties on the road.

So it doesn't surprise me that engine sales are down :(

I agree 100% with what you are saying. I am holding on to my 2004 F-250 PSD and my 2006 F-350 PSD. Both have been trouble free and I do not want the new stuff until its proven.

Chris

I don't agree, at least with Dodge all the problems have been worked out, they were 2010 compliant in 08. I think it is ALL to do with the economy.

JB

/ Cummins Layoffs due to Poor Dodge Sales #7  
Seriously Chris, do you secretly own a Ford dealership or own a lot of stock in Ford? Although, I take it as a compliment that you feel Ford is so threatened by the new HD RAM trucks that you have to constantly try and put them down. I bet you spent at least 2 hours searching Google for anything you could find against Chrysler. :laughing:

Luckily Ford never laid off anyone in Ohio... :rolleyes:
Layoff Tracker: Ford to layoff 178 workers at Ohio plant
OH: FORD LAYOFFS - Watch Online Videos - Apnicommunity.com

Plus if you read the article instead of just assuming then you would see that they are slowing production because they completed their production ramp-up. This happens at many different factories and especially at engine and auto manufacture factories. At the release of the next model year, they need to estimate how many they intend to sell and get production caught up as soon as possible. Once they catch up to that estimate, they slow down production or halt until the demand increases again.

It never said this is due to poor sales, it could very well be just a bad estimate by the market execs. Big truck sales are down for everyone...

JB4310 said:
I don't agree, at least with Dodge all the problems have been worked out, they were 2010 compliant in 08
And your right JB, actually the 6.7l Cummins is EPA Tier 4 2012 compliant. Something the other diesels cannot make without UREA injection. Must be because they are so proven and reliable. :laughing:
The only real current option is the Ford V-10. The new small displacement gassers that are high revving are not for me. I like truck engines that make the power and torque at low RPM's.
362HP @ 4750rpms and 457LB.FT @ 3250 rpms. Wow all that low rpm power AND 10mpg. Your right, that is the only option for trucks right now... These new V8 gas engines are making over 350HP and over 400lb.ft. of torque and at pretty low rpms, if you need more power then that - get a diesel. The V10 is just a waste of gas and weight. Plus that new Ford V8 6.2l will put that V10 out of business within 2-3 years.

I don't agree, at least with Dodge all the problems have been worked out, they were 2010 compliant in 08. I think it is ALL to do with the economy.

JB

I agree the Cummins Engine is class leading its the rest of the truck. I had a 2500 Hemi and it was simply a POS. It was in the shop non stop. My dealer took great care of me but I traded it and will never be back. Especially with the current look of Chryslers financial s. They are in real trouble.

Chris

Seriously Chris, do you secretly own a Ford dealership or own a lot of stock in Ford? Although, I take it as a compliment that you feel Ford is so threatened by the new HD RAM trucks that you have to constantly try and put them down. I bet you spent at least 2 hours searching Google for anything you could find against Chrysler. :laughing:

Luckily Ford never laid off anyone in Ohio... :rolleyes:
Layoff Tracker: Ford to layoff 178 workers at Ohio plant
OH: FORD LAYOFFS - Watch Online Videos - Apnicommunity.com

Plus if you read the article instead of just assuming then you would see that they are slowing production because they completed their production ramp-up. This happens at many different factories and especially at engine and auto manufacture factories. At the release of the next model year, they need to estimate how many they intend to sell and get production caught up as soon as possible. Once they catch up to that estimate, they slow down production or halt until the demand increases again.

It never said this is due to poor sales, it could very well be just a bad estimate by the market execs. Big truck sales are down for everyone...

And your right JB, actually the 6.7l Cummins is EPA Tier 4 2012 compliant. Something the other diesels cannot make without UREA injection. Must be because they are so proven and reliable. :laughing:

362HP @ 4750rpms and 457LB.FT @ 3250 rpms. Wow all that low rpm power AND 10mpg. Your right, that is the only option for trucks right now... These new V8 gas engines are making over 350HP and over 400lb.ft. of torque and at pretty low rpms, if you need more power then that - get a diesel. The V10 is just a waste of gas and weight. Plus that new Ford V8 6.2l will put that V10 out of business within 2-3 years.

I get my local paper via the net. Spent no time searching it out. If you are dumb enough to think I am happy about this you are crazy. We have nearly 13% un-employment and some counties in Indiana are around 20% including my home county. The last thing I want to see is more folks out of work. It hurts my business and I must support them via my taxes and watch community projects, school spending, police and fire, ect get cut to make the budget work.

As far as the number you post they only tell 50% of the story. Ford gas engines are know to make 80% plus of the power below 2000 rpm's or so. I am not happy about the new engine lineups for the HD trucks. They may be fine in 1/2 tons but they are all following GM's lead and making the Diesel the only real option getting rid of the big block gassers.

Chris

/ Cummins Layoffs due to Poor Dodge Sales #10  
If you are dumb enough to think I am happy about this you are crazy.
Is that what you are going to revert to? 3rd grade mentalities and name calling? :rolleyes:
I'm sure no one is happy about job loss but if you really cared about the job's lost and not just about putting down Chrysler then you would be posting links to articles about all the various auto-related lay-offs and not just singling out one company. Take off the blue-oval glasses and you will see EVERY manufacturer is still having troubles and making lay-offs. A TEMPORARY lay-off at the Cummins factory is certainly a lot easier on the local folks then the permanent lay-offs Ford is facing in the same area.

Those people will all be able to collect unemployment for their time laid off and return to work as soon as trucks start selling again. At least they still have a job.