Curious about using hydraulic oil other than Kubota brand

/ Curious about using hydraulic oil other than Kubota brand #1  

MuskokaBilly

Tractor
Kubota L3400
Just wondering if anyone has experience with using other name brands of hydraulic oil in their HST systems?
Have 5 pails of this stuff in the pic and a pail of shell tellus
918419BC-6DDD-4F62-98C2-2A918A99D8F3.jpeg

Thanks, Billy

/ Curious about using hydraulic oil other than Kubota brand #2  
How much did you spend for your machine? And is saving a few hundred bucks worth it?

/ Curious about using hydraulic oil other than Kubota brand #4  
Cylinders, valves, hoses, tubing do not care what oil you use. Pumps do.
Usually it is the pump/hydrostat system that determines which oil to use in certain temps and conditions. Best to price out new pumps on your Kubota before using non recommended fluids, then ponder about prices of expensive Kubota oil.
AW68 oil I would only use in a heated indoor situation on a continuously running industrial hydraulic unit (I am in NH) or somewhere south of the mason dixon line maybe.

/ Curious about using hydraulic oil other than Kubota brand #5  
There is big difference between hydraulic oils and tractor fluid. The common sump in the tractors also lubricate the drivetrain. Regular hydraulic oils do not have the extreme pressure additives that protect the gears and bearings.

/ Curious about using hydraulic oil other than Kubota brand #6  
There is big difference between hydraulic oils and tractor fluid. The common sump in the tractors also lubricate the drivetrain. Regular hydraulic oils do not have the extreme pressure additives that protect the gears and bearings.
Also, tractor fluid has additives for friction materials.

/ Curious about using hydraulic oil other than Kubota brand #8  
Here we go again
Better make some popcorn. I just popped a bag of Costo Xtra butter in the microwave...lol

Candidly speaking I don't use Kubota SUDT or UDT in either of my Kubota's or in my previous ones I owned and sold. I use Chevron All Weather THC Synthetic and have for years now. It exceeds the Kubota specification for hydraulic oil and it ain't cheap either.

That stuff in those black pails is probably on par with the TSC cheapo hydraulic oil and will ruin your tractor.

If I were you, I'd build an oil furnace and burn it in that. You can use it but don't expect a good result.

/ Curious about using hydraulic oil other than Kubota brand #9  
Shell Tellus is machine tool spindle oil, I use it in my machine tools. I use Shell Donax as well

/ Curious about using hydraulic oil other than Kubota brand #10  
Just wondering if anyone has experience with using other name brands of hydraulic oil in their HST systems?
Have 5 pails of this stuff in the pic and a pail of shell tellus View attachment 786561
Thanks, Billy
FYI, Hydraulic oil is for hydraulic ONLY systems!!! Tractor Transmission/Hydraulic oil is for HST systems and possibly most hydraulic systems too. 😉

Last edited: