current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I've gone through my share of small portable air compressors to carry with my trucks and trailers. My current favorite is my DeWalt 20v Corded/Cordless Air Inflator. I've had it for going on 4 years and have used it for my F350 dually truck, my E350 van, two trailers and several cars. But I'm afraid it's going to die.
I REALLY like the 20V max swappable batteries because I have lot's of them. Most of my inflators before were tied to either a vehicle battery or mains for power.
But I'm concerned it's going to die.
What would TBN'ers recommend for a replacement. I wish DeWalt made a 20v pancake style but they only make a Flexvolt, of which I have some batteries, but not many.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #2  
I have this one. It is very strong and will do my trailer tires to 125psi when needed. It does not run tools. If I needed air tools to run I would do CO2 tanks.

Black Friday will have some deals I paid $160.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc.
Yes, I had one of those, died after about 3 years of occasional use.
I just had to run the DeWalt 20v Corded/Cordless Air Inflator to pump a 15" trailer tire from 40lbs to 80 lbs. It took 12 minutes and the air hose was getting hot.
Hauled my mac2400 up from the basement (narrow stairs). I'd swear that thing has put on 20lbs over the last 5 years.
That can run all day.
I've had it for about 15 years or so.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #4  
I have two of these I bought a couple of years ago. (They were cheaper then) I use one at my mill and one at the lathe. They aren't too heavy to carry outside, and they'll run off a standard extension cord. I use one often rather than fire up the big compressor and deal with hoses.

Harbor Freight Fortress Compressor.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #5  
I have 2 Ryobi's I carry in a bag..Both 18v. One is a small tank compressor, the other is a digital inflator. Home Despot stuff. I'm pretty happy with them and they are fairly cheap.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #6  
I bought a little portable tire inflater to keep in my truck. Lowe's, I think, "Kobalt" brand. Can run on 12v or 110v ac. I mean it "works" and fills tires, but it's nothing to get excited about. No air tank and it won't run tools. But it will inflate a tire.

When I'm working my tractor on some remote field, I always bring my pancake compressor and my generator that stay in the bed of the truck. That way I can blow out radiators and coolers, etc.

When I'm home, I'm using my Quincy from the garage. Can run any tool and air up any tires pretty quickly.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #7  
The battery power would be nice but I went with a viar. Hooks up to battery directly, no cigarette lighter.

After offroading in the dunes it airs up my 33x12.5s from 12psi to 60 in no time.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #8  
I went with a double ViAir pump with 2gal tank mounted under the flatbed on my F250. Works good, wired to the battery, powers the air bags and external air for tires, cleaning, whatever. Expensive, but it works well. Can get up to 200psi. Really nice when needing to top off trailer tires at 110psi.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #9  
Personally, I use an 8gal HF compressor; and would hate to go back to those 12v air pumps; BUT; for you use; I would recommend a jump pack-air compressor combo-back up power bank combo. Most of them charge with 12V or 120V; have good jump capability, good compressor ability, and as long as you don't go with the old style, lead-acid ones; they are light and store a charge for months.
Screenshot_20230217_185823_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #10  
If you like the Dewalt but think it is dying, why not just get a new one of the same??