Cut my rebar safely

/ Cut my rebar safely #1  

Mousefield

Elite Member
Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
Tractor
Sold 2008 CK35 HST
Well I decided to use my angle grinder. Had only used it once before and wasn't sure if it was the best thing to use. I read a Thread in Safety forum about some of the dangers in using one a while ago. So I got a vice that came with my drill press and c clamped it with wood blocks to my utility trailer tongue. Then got a box and some 2 X 4 blocks to shim up the rebar level with the vise. Got good leather gloves, my safety glasses, ear muffs and full face shield. I was set to go. Used the angle grinder to cut every second piece flat and the other at 45 degree as this end would get pounded into the ground. Vise worked very well for this job. Took my time and it went well.:cool: Cut 30 pieces out of 5 10ft pieces. Thanks to all that replied to my earlier thread asking Best way to cut rebar. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Rebar 001.jpg
    Rebar 001.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Rebar 005.jpg
    Rebar 005.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Rebar 006.jpg
    Rebar 006.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 134
   / Cut my rebar safely #2  
you did a great job.

/ Cut my rebar safely #3  
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it worked. I'm faced with the same task (working with/cutting rebar), so I was following your thread.

/ Cut my rebar safely #4  
so they are stakes?

/ Cut my rebar safely #5  
Did you use the grinder with the guard off?

/ Cut my rebar safely
so they are stakes?

They will be used in our raised garden beds to make a hoop greenhouse over the tomatos. About 6 inches will be above ground and then you insert ス inch poly pipe to make an arch, then plastic will go over this. Will post new thread when I do this.

/ Cut my rebar safely #8  
Good post mouse' Looks like you got a good plan for others to follow. Will be interested as the tomato cover develops, and watching your wife make a gardener out of you...

/ Cut my rebar safely #9  
When I have to cut rebar. I will sometimes use my large bolt cutters

/ Cut my rebar safely #10  
No, I used it as it came and was extra carefull. :

I just mentioned it because it looks like the guard is missing in the second picture. Glad you were safe! I saw a wheel blow up on a guy using a grinder (no guard)... not pretty what it did to his arms and chest.