Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it?

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it? #1  

JaySonrisa

Tractor
Ford 860
There are a number of sellers at the moment of reconditioned Daedong L3502Ds. Best I can find out, this model was made between 1990 and 1996. It is variously reported as a 40hp and 42hp machine. The engine (diesel) seems to be a design licensed from Kubota. Today, Daedong makes the Kioti tractor. The price for the reconditioned tractors is $10,995 and this is a 4wd model with a FEL. Anybody have any experience or knowledge of these things? Thanks!

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it? #2  

Poopdeck Pappy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK50SE Cab, Kubota BX23, Kubota BX2660, Grasshopper 729BT
That could be a dependable tractor at a good price. But who is gonna work on it if it breaks? Are there tractor mechanics in your area that are familiar with them? If not, are you handy with a wrench? And where will you get the parts you need to fix it?

For about $10,000 - $12,000 more, you can buy a brand new tractor of a similar size with a warranty and someone to fix it if it breaks. I'm all for saving money, but the sweet aroma of a bargain can soon turn horribly foul if you run into problems.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's a bad machine or a bad price or that you shouldn't buy one. Parts and knowledgable mechanics for it may be growing on trees for all I know. I know nothing about that model or that vintage. I'm simply suggesting that you should be an informed buyer.

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it? #3  

TomSeller

Tractor
JD, Massey, Kubota, Case
I'd buy a Kubota or a Kioti, not a crossbreed before they went separate ways. Or other major brand. If it is hard to find parts/repair at 20 years, it will be even harder down the road.

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it? #4  

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
The add for this model on Tractorhouse said "these are hard to find..."

That, IMHO, would NOT be a strong selling point.

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it? #5  

SSdoxie

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
1st to consider is parts availability. Check with a Kioti dealer to see if they can support/order parts for this model.
2nd - this is 40 HP tractor, what is a early model DK40 or other 40 HP Kioti in same size range selling or? $10K to $11K seems a little high if there is no parts support available in the U.S.

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it? #6  

TomSeller

Tractor
JD, Massey, Kubota, Case
With all the good brands out there, Kioti, Kubota, LS, Mahindra, Deere, Massey, Yanmar..... Why go with an aborted joint venture tractor?

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it? #7  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
Sounds like it may be some sort of GREY market tractor. Be careful about buying a so called re-conditioned tractor. Was the engine re- built during this so called re-condition process ? I highly anything much was done. My guess is,, Just enough to get it running with a new paint job

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it?
OP
J

JaySonrisa

Tractor
Ford 860
Thanks all for your inputs. Pappy, if I had $10 or $12 K more to spend, I wouldn't be looking at used tractors...I'd buy a Mahindra. Parts are available, but you have to send off for them. I am handy with a wrench, up to having to split a tractor, but I am trying to get out of the constant tinkering mode I am in with my Ford 860, so the "reconditioned" looks attractive. Nonetheless, you folks have helped me move my 49.5% for and 49.5% against to "against". All good points and I'll just keep watching for the right deal to come along.

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it? #9  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
I own a grey tractor but, it is a supported grey tractor. The tractor you're looking at isn't supported so, parts (in my opinion) would be hard to come by. There are a lot of yanmar tractors for sale out there that claim to be "re-conditioned" And to some extent they are re-conditioned in Vietnam. They were junk tractors that no other dealers wanted. They were bought cheap sent to Vietnam to be re -conditioned. It could have mis matched parts every where. ie, a piston from here a piston from there a head from some other tractor, etc get the picture ?? Save your $$ any buy a good tractor for that price

/ Daedong L3502D: Reconditioned tractors selling for $10,995...worth it? #10  

nova3930

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T494
Think I'd probably look around for a good used model from a known brand before I'd do that. I gave $17k delivered from GA for my Boomer 50 HST (no FEL) with 184 hours on it and 58 of the 60 months warrant still in effect. It took me a while looking around to find that deal but they are out there.