Dead goose mystery

/ Dead goose mystery #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
About 3 days ago I found a dead goose in the pond. It was at the waters edge, part in and part out of the water. Other than being dead, it looked completely healthy and normal. I checked it over and didn't find any wounds or injuries on it. I removed and disposed of it.

Since it was at waters edge I'm guessing it died in the water and floated over to the edge?

Ever since, the remaining geese on my property (about a dozen) will not enter the pond. This is very unusual, and I know their patterns well. Avoiding the water is very odd. It's normally their "safe spot" that they flee to if something disturbs them.

Any guesses on why the goose died or the others now avoid the water?

/ Dead goose mystery #2  
Lots of potential reasons:breeding season is tough on wild life for one.Animals do die of old age too.

/ Dead goose mystery #3  
I have no solid clue but - is it possible the pond somehow got contaminated such that it is harmful for geese? Someone doesn’t like/want geese in the pond or area? Many land owners feel geese are a nuisance.

I imagine if the geese won’t enter the water they will soon be gone.

MoKelly

/ Dead goose mystery
is it possible the pond somehow got contaminated such that it is harmful for geese?
A couple of weeks ago I put pond dye in to inhibit growth of aquatic plants. I do that every year, except this year I bought it at tractor supply instead of from another source. That's the only change I can think of ......

/ Dead goose mystery #6  
A couple of weeks ago I put pond dye in to inhibit growth of aquatic plants. I do that every year, except this year I bought it at tractor supply instead of from another source. That's the only change I can think of ......

I think you answered your own question.

/ Dead goose mystery #7  
Maybe the dye color has an affect on the geese’s desirability to land there and the one that did died from the pond dye.

Last edited:
   / Dead goose mystery #8  
I've had more geese show up this Spring after dying the pond like I do every year. (this my 20th) I doubt if the dye is harmful to birds or a deterrent to them. btw, new this year is a pair of pied-billed grebes tht didn't fly farther North. They're a small relative of the loon, about the size of a wood duck, and have been swimming and diving for fish in dyed water for nearly a month.

One thing beside dying of old age that may leave a floating goose is a snapping turtle. Their bite isn't as strong as their body weight can hold a goose's head underwater until it drowns. Like most amphibious reptiles ('gators, etc) they tend to guard their prey while it mellows for a few days before dining on it.

/ Dead goose mystery
Maybe the dye color has an affect on the geese’s desirability to land there and the one that did
Good thought and I wondered the same. But they were using the pond for many days/a week and a half just like normal. Till the floater geese showed up.

No, I didn't open up the goose to see what was inside.

btw I do have catfish in the pond, but I don't think one would grab a goose!

/ Dead goose mystery #10  
Are there other ponds near by? If someone shot it with a 22, it might have been able to fly off and die at your pond. The wound might not be very apparent. It's probably not a very likely scenario, but just a thought.