Decent battery charger

/ Decent battery charger #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
I am shopping for a new battery charger. I have bought two in the last two years and both are absolute crap. Just need one for my cars and mower, only really need a 12V charger. Was wanting some suggestions on a good brand and or model. I have a Schumacher that lasted three months and I heaved it in the dumpster, the other is a China made crap that also is now in the dumpster. I heard an Ampeak brand was good. Anyhow some opinions are welcome.

/ Decent battery charger #2  
IMG_3966.jpg

Best charger I have ever had. At 8 amps it's not a fast charger, but certainly an overnight recharge for a dead battery. Also a great maintainer / desulfator, and can maintain multiple batteries.

Battery Minder also makes less expensive 2 amp maintainers that are very popular.

/ Decent battery charger
Thanks for the input, I’ll check out that brand.

/ Decent battery charger #5  
What failed on the ones you bought? I'd read that the Schumacher ones were supposed to be good.

I'm still using a trickle charger I built 50+ years ago...nothing fancy, just a 12V transformer, a bridge rectifier and an ammeter. Does the job. I'll usually put it on a timer so it's only powered for 3-4 hr/day in the winter so I don't overcharge small powersport (ATV, snowmobile, etc.) batteries.

/ Decent battery charger #6  
Check out Hulkman. I'm having this delivered today

I also have this jump starter which is fantastic

Last edited:
   / Decent battery charger
What failed on the ones you bought? I'd read that the Schumacher ones were supposed to be good.

I'm still using a trickle charger I built 50+ years ago...nothing fancy, just a 12V transformer, a bridge rectifier and an ammeter. Does the job. I'll usually put it on a timer so it's only powered for 3-4 hr/day in the winter so I don't overcharge small powersport (ATV, snowmobile, etc.) batteries.
The Schumacher just started smoking when I plugged it in, smelt like my ex wife’s cooking and the other one won’t even come on at all.

/ Decent battery charger #8  
Pro mariner also makes good ones. If you want a dumb charger look into a RV onboard charger.

/ Decent battery charger #9  
I am shopping for a new battery charger. I have bought two in the last two years and both are absolute crap. Just need one for my cars and mower, only really need a 12V charger. Was wanting some suggestions on a good brand and or model. I have a Schumacher that lasted three months and I heaved it in the dumpster, the other is a China made crap that also is now in the dumpster. I heard an Ampeak brand was good. Anyhow some opinions are welcome.
I purchased this one. Seems to work very well. It is an Ampeak. Hope this helps