Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet.

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
I am leaning towards a single lid instead of the dual lid, and the shorter bottom. This will be for a svl75. I have no ability to try them out so watching vids and etc.. my main thing will be woods cleanup, lots of old downed trees, honeysuckle, and undergrowth. I like the bigger rake style lid with ability for back dragging. Anybody got both or bought one and wish theyæ±*e got the other?

Maxify55

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XR3037HC / Mitsubishi MT372
Years ago, like 10, I bought the rake master grapple like the YouTube presenter CotonTop purchased & I absolutely love the thing. At first I thought it was overkill and over weighted for the kind of work I’d was going to be doing. Neither was true.

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
For the SVL I'd go with dual lid. I often wish I went dual lid on my MX but at the same time it would be slower and weigh more on an already heavy implement for the tractor.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I bought a duel lid with open tines in the front. I didn’t like the idea of the open front at first but it’s quickly grown on me. The open teeth cut through the ground without damaging it much or picking up much dirt. Here’s the only picture I could find that shows the bottom. IMG_9672.JPG

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
This is the style I’m thinking. The duel lid seems useful but not for raking.

2A58C0FD-B274-40F1-ABAE-B8E9F77D7DEC.png

But then again the longer tine bottom would allow you to see what you digging into.

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I have the long, open bottom, dual lid type. It is nice as you can scoop things up, rake through the ground to clear vines, grab rocks etc. OR come over the top and down to grab a large brush pile. Stuff doesn't fall out with the longer bottom and dual lids as it is resting on the tines not just the clamping force. They all will move brush I suppose.

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
That is the style of my first grapple:

View attachment 686114 View attachment 686115

Not the best for picking up large brush piles. But, any grapple is better than no grapple.:

View attachment 686116 View attachment 686117

I can rake just fine going forward with the Monster Grapple: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...pact-telehandler-post5502717.html#post5502717

View attachment 686118 View attachment 686120

Nice. Thanks. Just the comparison I am looking for, all though your lid is flat and some are more rounded.

Bearsixty7

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.
If EverythingAttachments is a possible choice, Contact Ted or Travis and they could probably arrange for you to come out and try out a couple different styles that they offer out in NC.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
This is the style I’m thinking. The duel lid seems useful but not for raking.

View attachment 686112

But then again the longer tine bottom would allow you to see what you digging into.

I’d rather have the long bottom. The rake style would have to suffer picking up pretty much anything over a long bottom.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I spent a long time trying to decide on the "type" of grapple. Basically, you have rock & root and then brush. What you have pictured, HersheyFarm, is the rock & root type. That's what I ended up getting. Land Pride SGC1560 - 60" wide - 820#. Had it now for seven years and it's still in pristine condition.

I control mine with a WR Long 3rd function valve. Backdraging to level - digging out and moving large rocks - moving large sections of pine tree trunk - cleaning up brush.

Do yourself a favor. Get your grill guard modified to protect your grill, radiator & battery from sticks, stobs, limbs etc.

View attachment 686172View attachment 686173

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
I spent a long time trying to decide on the "type" of grapple. Basically, you have rock & root and then brush. What you have pictured, HersheyFarm, is the rock & root type. That's what I ended up getting. Land Pride SGC1560 - 60" wide - 820#. Had it now for seven years and it's still in pristine condition.

I control mine with a WR Long 3rd function valve. Backdraging to level - digging out and moving large rocks - moving large sections of pine tree trunk - cleaning up brush.

Do yourself a favor. Get your grill guard modified to protect your grill, radiator & battery from sticks, stobs, limbs etc.

View attachment 686172View attachment 686173

He’s putting it on a skid steer but tractor brush guards definitely leave room for improvement. Here’s mine I built. IMG_8039.JPG

sd455dan

Elite Member
Tractor
Rhino 554, JD550G dozer Gilson MTD riding mowers Ford 3000-Sold
This is the style I知 thinking. The duel lid seems useful but not for raking.

View attachment 686112

Might consider this style with the longer replaceable tines if you will be moving lots of brush. Seems like a guy could make up some short ones and then have the grubbing ability to.

https://www.ati-corporation.com/img/content/loader-attachments/gallery-grapples-02.jpg

Grapple Attachments, Grapple Kits, ATI Corporation

MickeyDBC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320PC & NX4510HST
I have a 84" rock/root style and like it. Great for grabbing trees and big stuff and rooting in the dirt, but also really nice for putting out mulch. Gives pretty good control over how much you grab and then spread around. Another thing is the rock/root style are usually heavier built - I have not managed to tear mine up yet or even bend it a little.

PaxMan

Tractor
LS XR4145HC
I wouldn't recommend going with anything other than EA Attachments. They've got a couple videos of their wicked root rake grapple on their SVL I do believe.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Nice addition to your brush guard - 4570Man. That will deflect the brush - and all elephants. WoW!!!

jjp8182

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
This is the style I知 thinking. The duel lid seems useful but not for raking.

View attachment 686112

Something to consider when using the lid for back-dragging is: does it have mechanical stops or are the hydraulic cylinders the only thing keeping the lid from over extending over the top/back of the grapple? (have seen how hydraulic cylinders/valves react to unexpected shock loads and I doubt it's a good thing for either - even with over pressure relief valves doing their thing)

....and in general I think I'd go with that style for a skid steer simply because a skid steer can twist/turn putting some pretty strong side loads on an implement.

As was said elsewhere in the thread any grapple is better than no grapple, but from what I've experienced there is no universal "best" grapple only the grapple most suitable for your applications ..... or at least that's what I tell myself in order to justify having multiple types of grapples :D ...my current ones are Danuser Intimidator which is great for removing vertical objects like trees & posts, and a single-lid EA brush/L-bottom grapple which is great for grabbing large volumes of horizontal material and some surface raking --I prefer using my box blade tines for heavier ground engagement & root removal.

However, if I was using the grapple for digging through the ground a lot I'd likely get one of that style just to minimize the surface area dragging through the ground..... and likely one that has mechanical stops built into the frame.

Anyway just my :2cents:

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
No matter which style you choose, you will find times the other style would have worked better.

I have a dual lid 60" MTL RK5 grapple that is built plenty strong and a great value. The RK5 has a solid back that reduces the need for a grill guard. It also provides the ability to use it for some forward grading. There are times I wish I had a 48" single lid with shorter bottom tines but not often.

I think 60" should be plenty for most uses. Wider would not be my first choice, especially in the woods.

If you can afford it then I suggest you buy two different design grapples. Some of the budget grapples are plenty strong so two for the price of one can be an option.

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G Bobcat V417 TORO+Loader
------------

I think 60" should be plenty for most uses. Wider would not be my first choice, especially in the woods.
----------------

True for tractors, but not true for skid steer, CTL and my Versahandler with 4 wheel steering. If the grapple fits, the machine will clear the trees.

P7150016.JPG
P4110074.JPG

Last edited:

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
One thing that seems useful no matter what style you go with is get one where the clamshell comes down and makes contact with the lower teeth give you more of a tweezer-like ability. I'm sure many do this, but some slide past each other . If they connect I find it useful for grabbing a single rock or small piece of brush that dropped out of the grapple on my way to a pile.

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
I wouldn't recommend going with anything other than EA Attachments. They've got a couple videos of their wicked root rake grapple on their SVL I do believe.

I dont think they make a ctl grapple. Just the dudes brother(construction attachments) and at those weights there is a lot of other grapples a lot cheaper.

mikester

Veteran Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
I am leaning towards a single lid instead of the dual lid, and the shorter bottom. This will be for a svl75. I have no ability to try them out so watching vids and etc.. my main thing will be woods cleanup, lots of old downed trees, honeysuckle, and undergrowth. I like the bigger rake style lid with ability for back dragging. Anybody got both or bought one and wish they羆*e got the other?
I bought a no-name heavy duty (aka heavy 3/8 mild steel plate) root rake (short base) style with a single lid. Works ok for pushing out roots but not good for moving wood. The single lid also has trouble grasping odd shaped pieces like large tree trunks with a wye in them and I can't grab a full load of logs each time. Mild steel tines are heavy and easy to bend.

I now wish I bought a long bottom style with double lids. I'd find a grapple that was made of AR300/AR400 and lighter weight (ie. 1/4 AR300 will be stiffer than 1/2 mild steel). I'd also spec that all pins were fully bolted and everything needs to be grease-able.

Most of the time I want the grapple for hauling logs, wood and brush. I am tempted to add a thumb onto my forks for the logs. I never feel like I get a full load when handling brush on my current setup.

Put a grill guard on your tractor as your first priority. I was an unhappy camper when I discovered I punched a hole in my new M59 plastic grill. Also make sure your hoses and steel lines are protected, tucked up and out of the way.

Redbug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
I have a root rake type with single lid made by WR Long. I really like it. I also welded up a brush guard which is needed when using a grapple. Make sure your grapple is as wide as your front tire width. That way you are not driving over debris when pushing up a load.

Club- Clearing Pine Tree Stand 2-25-08 011.jpg

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
I dont think they make a ctl grapple. Just the dudes brother(construction attachments) and at those weights there is a lot of other grapples a lot cheaper.

I didn’t find anything in the EA lineup that I liked for my M59. The largest 125hp and larger grapple was too excessive and the next size down wasn’t enough. I ended up buying a Favor grapple which is really made for a skid steer and I’ve been very satisfied with it. I paid close to 3k so it wasn’t cheap either though. I didn’t care about the price. I’ve welded enough implements back together to know I didn’t want a repeat of that.

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
I didn稚 find anything in the EA lineup that I liked for my M59. The largest 125hp and larger grapple was too excessive and the next size down wasn稚 enough. I ended up buying a Favor grapple which is really made for a skid steer and I致e been very satisfied with it. I paid close to 3k so it wasn稚 cheap either though. I didn稚 care about the price. I致e welded enough implements back together to know I didn稚 want a repeat of that.

Ok, I like this grapple. All ar400 and pretty simple. 850ish lb. looks like $3500. I like how tight it closes.

Home

Faver 8410X & 627SCX Grapple Rake - www.faverinc.com - YouTube

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower