Deer Control Options

/ Deer Control Options #1  

Carl_NH

Elite Member
Tractor
01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8
I have recently installed a 600' L x 8' H "Deer Fence II" around the perimeter of the yard in the wooded portion of the property with exception that is about 100' bordering our neighbors property with few trees to attach the material. This portion also abuts or joins their fence line (cedar 4') that creates a natural path for the deer to follow away from our property.

I use this area to access the wooded section of the property plus don't want this to look like a secure state facility (from their yard or ours). They are good neighbors and I want to keep it that way. Right at the moment I don't have the funds or want to install 6'H permanent fencing and gate etc.

We have tried deer repellent, soaked in rags, moth balls, and other measures in the past, thus the deer fencing. What I would like is feedback on counter measures (without fencing) to use in this area that are electronic or automatic water sprays, etc that others may have used with success.

There is water, and electric available in the barn, and sensors could be mounted on the corners. I have attached a photo - the area to be addressed is to the left of the barn from the scraper blade forward.

Carl

/ Deer Control Options #2  
The picture doesn't come thru for me. Anyone else see it??

Kevin

/ Deer Control Options
Transmission problems, so let's try this again. Also, I ahve reviewed the other posts in rual living re: deer fencing and techniques, and looking for some alternate measures.

Thanks,

Carl

Attachments

• 33-139185-BarnFrt0402.jpg
    33-139185-BarnFrt0402.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 324
   / Deer Control Options #4  
Carl,
The best thing I found so far to keep deer and moose etc.. away from our gardens...okay here we go..a gallon jug 3 or 4 shakes of Comet,1/2 cup of bleach,1/2 gallon of water and human urine than shake it real good{w/the cover on} than soak some old rags in the mixture,than place the rags to protect what you wish.

Believe me nothing will mess w/the rags or come near them.

/ Deer Control Options #5  
Carl_NH
We have or should I say my wife has about an acre of garden. We have tried about everything that has come along. The only thing that we have used that has worked really well is fishing line. Just tie it so that it hits them on the legs. It really scares them. I guess that they think something is grabbing them but they can‘t see what. The only problem with using it is that you have to replace it when they get in to it. After a while they don’t come very often. Someone told about the fishing line on here about a year ago.

/ Deer Control Options #6  
Possibly an electric fence. I use solar electric fences on remote areas of my property.. good for all but preditor animals.

Also, speaking of preditors.. I've heard of a predator scent tag(s) that can be placed around.. makes the tasty deere think there is something around that likes to eat them. Not sure if you have tried this.

Amonia comtaining compounds work well too ( i.e. urine, etc... )

Soundguy

/ Deer Control Options
Jerry,

I used 50lb test last 2 years and that worked til they figured it out and jumped it, plus I tended to walk/drive into it w/o thinking. Thats why I invested in the deer fencing, i can see it better. :)

Thomas,

We tried coyote urine - seemed to work well, but when it rained needed to reapply. We have about 3/4 acre of various gardens - mostly ornamental - rhodies, hostas, lillies, roses etc that are my wifes enjoyment (I just dig holes and move rocks) and she might not enjoy them as much if there's some of my recycled beer mixed with comet hanging off them..

I am thinking about a motion sensor light connected to a radio or other device that will put them on the run. I got one of those talking fish a few years ago as a gag gift, so put that out last year and they found it - did a temporary job til it quit working due to rain.

Keep the ideas coming.

Carl

/ Deer Control Options #8  
I found a 2 foot lizard with a motion sensor that made a croaking noise. The racoons, squirrels, and rabbits thought it was pretty nifty, but not the least bit disturbing. I've thought about getting one of the sprinkler heads, but they want 60 or 70 bucks for one, plus trying to get water out where I need it would be a problem.

Kevin

/ Deer Control Options #9  
Just get a good barking dog....this is the only effective remedy I know of to chase away deer from your property.

/ Deer Control Options
Chris,

Thanks for the feedback, I maintained few miles or so of elec fence on the farm years ago and it was good for keeping the cattle from getting out etc.. if it's strung multi wire will be effective from deer getting in. I've got water and power, it's a matter of getting a device that will move them away.

Off to mark the territory in the snow, again, heard that works.

Carl