Mowing Deere 4710 and LX6 cutter question

hartmacw

Tractor
2003 Deere 4710
I have an opportunity to purchase a used Deere LX6 cutter from an individual that I intend to use behind my Deere 4710. I cannot easily take my tractor to that place to hook it up and try it out, he says it works great but who knows. I have two questions (well, maybe three depending on how you count)...

1. I understand the drivelines on the LX6 can be shortened for smaller tractors, what should the proper length be for a tractor the size of the 4710 so that I will know if it will fit my tractor, and from where is it measured? I have looked and looked and can't seem to find that information.

2. I also understand the slip clutch can seize up if it hasn't been stored inside or used in a while. Is there a way to tell (by hand, I guess) if the clutch actually slips without hooking it up to the PTO of a tractor and following the instructions in the manual for maintaining it?

Thanks in advance.

dusty3030

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010 Cab, John Deere 5105, Kubota 7040 HDC
Drive line, you should be fine. Rotary cutter has a lot more fudge room to play with as opposed to a short one like a tiller or flail.

Slip clutch, no way to do it by hand, but should be able to loosen the bolts on it and turn it.
I would just give it a good visual, it is it broken or rusted solid pass, but if it looks ok I would chance to err in your favor. You need to loosen it and slip it anyway and set it back to spec afterward if you buy it.

OP
H

hartmacw

Tractor
2003 Deere 4710
Thanks. When I was reading up on it I found directions on deere's site on how to shorten the driveline by up to 4 inches, and I was afraid if that had been done that I might find it too short when I got it home. I am not familiar with this cutter (yet). Will I be able to visually inspect the clutch without removing anything, or is it covered some way or another? thanks again in advance.