Deere 6410 fuel smoke

/ Deere 6410 fuel smoke #1  

jerseybud

Tractor
deere 6410, deere 2550
Have a 98 deere 6410 mwfd that is our haying tractor and for the last 3 season it puffs fuel smoke at cold start (yesterday was 70 out) and heavy load decelerating, like coming down a hill with a implement behind it. It has a very subtle "lugging" at idle when cold start and can hear a subtle roughness at high speeds like 2000rpm. Cant see smoke when hot but can smell its running rich. Starts right up, good power but seems a little thirsty. Tractor has like 4000 hours on it, all cushy haying hours only during summer.

It did this in 2016 also and I fixed it with new deere injectors and fuel filter.
I got a dud in tank pump from Deere last year and ran one day without a functional lift pump in the tank- it had a dead short directly from Deere.
EGTs vary cylinder to cylinder by 100 degrees -for example #1 runs 90 degrees cooler than 2 or 3 at idle
Turbo is tight, no oil use.

This time I cannot get it fixed - This is what I've done:
-new injectors (deere, but chinese standynes)-
-new in tank pump and module (thought it might be sucking air)
-coated seams on one way check valve in feed line (thought sucking air)
-blew lines out feed and return
-several new lines between filter and housing and IP
-was running power service or standdyne lubricity additive

Local diesel mechanic/ dairy farmer said I prbably need a new IP. I want to be sure before I drop 2500 with deere again. Some post online said there is a valve on the IP that catches trash- I took fittings apart for the return line but didnt see any trash or valve.
Any suggestions welcome.
Working theory is that the clogged filter in 2016 and lack of lift pump last year wore out the IP.
next step would have been to take apart fuel filter housing to check for cracks

/ Deere 6410 fuel smoke #2  
Couple questions... Did you maintain it properly as in oil and filter (intake and engine) and how often?

/ Deere 6410 fuel smoke
we bought this tractor new in 98 and I've done rotella 15w-40 or 5w-40 religiously every season, which is about 170 hours. Only deere filters, no aftermaket. Its a fuel issue, not a engine worn out issue. I just had the oil pan off for a new gasket and the cylinder and rods are immaculate. Its never overheated. never frozen. I've done the coolant changes as well wth coolgard and dad kept good records from its early days when I was not able to do end of season prep.
Its got a new Deere primary air filter in it now- seocndary is still original, but no blowby or soot. I also considered a clogged air filter

/ Deere 6410 fuel smoke #4  
Have you done a static compression test? Sounds to me like you are having low compression in one or more cylinders. Not at all familiar with green stuff, but the smelling fuel tells me it's not combusting completely.

/ Deere 6410 fuel smoke #5  
Were new injectors pressure tested before installation? Has inj pump timing been checked to be sure it's correct? Has JD dealer checked with a computer? If inj pump was at fault I have it checked/rebuilt not buy new inj pump.

/ Deere 6410 fuel smoke
Injectors were not matched or tested. I had a set of stanadynes from pensacola (i think) and it still smoked, thne a set of new ones from Deere and it still smoked. I thought injectors with the wonky EGTs, but cant find a flow matched set. Local diesel shop is 2 hours away.
I'll try to have pump checked and codes run. Its the original Lucas CAV pump. Only thing wrong with it was the shutoff solenoid failed about 5 years ago and melted. Replaced with deere part, but my father did it and he was very sloppy as he got older. Maybe a chunk of debris in there like the 1st gen dodge Cummins (89-93).
In tank Lift pump was providing about 6-8 psi to injection pump but I was told spec was 12. Voltage is 12 v to in tank pump.
Thanks all
edit- pump has never been turned up
-fuel tank was inspected last year- no water, no algae, no sediment
- injectors smoothed out the idle, but still smoked

Last edited:
   / Deere 6410 fuel smoke #7  
If u can get to all 3-4 of the pump mounting bolts, try adjusting the timing a smidge..
There’s an arrow on the name plate.. u wanna turn the pump OPPOSITE the arrow direction..
It’ll only take a degree or two to notice a difference..
DO NOT LOOSEN THE BOLTS OR ATTEMPT TO MOVE THE PUMP WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.!!

/ Deere 6410 fuel smoke #8  
Is the thermostart (preheater) working corretly ?
Is the ign switch returning back out of preheating corretly ?

Last edited:
   / Deere 6410 fuel smoke
I checked for codes today and nothing on ECU, bit BIF kept flashing 17, 23, 46, 47, 49 and 51 but I could not find those codes on-line. I prbably will end up taking a trip to Bangor and bring the spare set of injectors to get tested and get a set popped for my Cummins as well.

/ Deere 6410 fuel smoke
changed out injector 1 to see if anything changed- could see all 4 or 5 orifices were spraying well. did not make a difference, maybe more smoke.
Discovered the "new" shutoff solenoid nut is seized and the insides are turning with the nut so I will replace that.
Took off return line to tank and started engine and a steady trickle of fuel came out. doesnt seem to be a restriction.
Gonna replace shutoff solenoid and then advance timing I think
At idle today, EGTs were 180, 200, 200, 180 (1,2, 3,4)
Pic is an older pic, I've replaced the injector lines last summer- didnt help smoke

Attachments

• deere (1).jpg
    deere (1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95