Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats....

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #1  

deserteagle71

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 diesel, Kubota M7060HDC12
Heat wave coming, so a Denver-area power company has "set" customers' "smart" thermostats to a warmer temperature to conserve power. Think I'll just stay with my old "dumb" thermostat.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #2  
Heat wave coming, so a Denver-area power company has "set" customers' "smart" thermostats to a warmer temperature to conserve power. Think I'll just stay with my old "dumb" thermostat.

They all signed up for it to get a cheaper bill. You get what you pay for comes to mind.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #3  
We had something like that back in the early 90s when we lived in Vegas. Not a smart thermostat, just a device the power company installed on your AC. They would turn it off for a while during peak hours. We didn't mind because we had a swamp cooler as backup. As above, it was voluntary and saved us money.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #4  
So..... a place like mine must frustrate the power utilities. So far we have nothing like that here. There are no rate differences between peak/off-peak hours and no utility controlled thermostats.

I'm all electric here but each room is controlled at the baseboard heating unit. No thermostats here. Likewise - no AC. My AC is open windows and fans.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #6  
Attended a wedding in Hawaii and the venue advertised full air conditioning.

It was set at 82 and locked and the bridal party was suffering.

I moved a kiosk lamp so that it shown on the thermostat before the days of LED.

That little trick made all the difference and the thermostat was never touched…

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #7  
I run a dehumidifier in our house, and at one time we made the mistake of putting it in the central area of the house, which is where the thermostat is located. Very quickly noticed that the rest of the house got a lot cooler, so LouNY is definitely on to something!
David from jax

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #8  
I'd have been putting a lite candle under the thermostat.
Where we lived in law school the landlord controlled the heat. It was a three unit building. The sensor was in our apartment. We put those freezer pops kids like on the sensor to trip it. We found we needed 6 of them in the freezer at all times. 2 to go on the sensor and the other 4 waiting in the wings. Our neighbors would call if they were cold and ask us to throw some new ones on the sensor. If you got hot..... open the window.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #9  
Heat wave coming, so a Denver-area power company has "set" customers' "smart" thermostats
If I had one I'd just toss it and put an old school honeywell mercury bulb in. You can still "salvage" them for free at almost any plumbing supply.