Desired piston clearance for 16hp cast iron Briggs.

/ Desired piston clearance for 16hp cast iron Briggs. #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
My recently acquired 16hp Briggs&Stratton model 325431-0135 needs a rebuild due to piston scoring from a mouse nest.
This engine will be a replacement for my current HH100 tecumseh on my log splitter which runs great however parts are becoming scarce.
I have a 0.010 over Briggs piston ordered and I am looking for the DESIRED piston clearance.
The Briggs&Stratton repair manual states to resize cylinder exactly 0.010 over and the clearance will be good.
The standard bore is 3.5615 ~ 3.5625.
B&S does not provide the piston dimension and my concern is that I could possibly receive a new piston that is not properly sized or damaged due to handling.
The new bore can vary 0.001 and it can be assumed the piston could vary the same amount which gives a variable of at least 0.002.
The crankshaft measured perfect again no new dimension listed so a new connecting rod will be installed to make this rebuild as thorough as possible while OEM parts are still available.
I have searched the web with no luck.
Is there someone out there privy to this information?
The valves and seats looked good but the exhaust valve had one spot that showed light indications after lapping so it is being replaced.
Magnetron ignition will be installed at this time.
With the block stripped down I lapped the block head surface on my granite plate to clean & check for flatness.
I am committed to keeping this vintage engine on the job.

Thanks 90cummins

/ Desired piston clearance for 16hp cast iron Briggs. #2  
piston clearance is 4 thou for cast iron cylinders...
normally boring is not done until the pistons are received and measured

/ Desired piston clearance for 16hp cast iron Briggs.
piston clearance is 4 thou for cast iron cylinders...
normally boring is not done until the pistons are received and measured

Thank you for the info.
When the new piston arrives and is measured it will be interesting to see what the calculated clearance will be adding 0.010 to the bore.