Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one?

/ Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I'd like basically a 7 blade male plug I could plug into my trailer side so I could easily test my trailer WITHOUT getting a vehicle hooked up.
I called up etrailer and they suggested I just rig one up. I'm sure the separate parts would cost as much as a designed product IF there is one out there.

/ Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one? #2  
   / Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one? #3  
Lou, those test the vehicle side, I believe the OP is looking for something to test the trailer side. I made up a plug that fits the trailer side, and with the proper diagram, a couple of test leads and a good 12 volt battery, have been able to fix the wiring on several trailers with it.
If I were the OP, I would buy what Lou suggested, to confirm the vehicle side is working properly, and if all is well there, then start testing on the trailer side. A lot of vehicles have fuses that protect the trailer side of the wiring, so it is good to know that side is good, before looking for issues on the trailer side.

/ Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one? #4  
Those tell if the vehicle side is working. If I understand correctly, he wants the other side, the side that would power the trailer lights so he'll need a battery as well.

/ Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one?
Thanks, but sometimes it's all about sex. Those are females. The plug on the trailer side is female. I need the mail counterpart with a way to supply power so I can plug it into the female fitting and turn ON the lights.
/edit - and since reading other responses - I have several of the ones Lou mentioned, I'm looking for a premade "the proper diagram, a couple of test leads and a good 12 volt battery," like BleedingOrange mentioned.
Something I could use but rigorous enough to loan to a relative so they could use it.

@BleedingOrange do you have any copies? A parts list? Did you use any resistors?

Last edited:
   / Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one? #6  
A plastic ammo box, couple of switches, a flasher relay, 12 volt battery to fit, proper trailer end and a 12 volt charger. I could throw together a wiring diagram later to show how to put together.

/ Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one? #7  
Where I just retired from we were looking for something to do just that, couldn't find a thing. Fella ended up making one with an auto battery, numerous plugs, flasher and switches as there wasn't one available, least ways that we could find. He made it with all the different plugs on it, 4-5 flat, 7 pin round spade, 7 pin round round, it was a useful piece of kit for sure..................Mike

/ Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one? #9  
   / Device for checking 7 blade trailer lights WITHOUT vehicle - anyone know of one?
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going to have to gin up something.
HS's solution is too costly, Moss's is a lot better but would still require an adapter to blade.
Now if I could just run it off the trailer battery.
I'm thinking alligator clips to trailer battery or car charger,