Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw

/ Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw #1  

Underdog57

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
I think I have narrowed my search for a 14" cold cut saw to either the Dewalt Dw872 or the Milwaukee 6190-20. I would value anyone's experience or opinions on either machine. I wouldn't be a real heavy user, just tractor stuff. I can get either one for a decent price. Also, does anyone have any experiance buying from Prima Power Tools? Thanks guys, :)

/ Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw #3  
Have heard the Milwaukee's aren't as good as they used to be. You could look into a Metal Devil from MK Morse. They also make an attachment so you can turn tubing 45 deg's. to cut it. This speeds up the cutting and you're not cutting the whole width at once when you get to the bottom.

/ Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw #4  
I agree with Milwaukee not being great anymore. Very disappointed.

/ Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw #5  
I don't have direct experience of either DeWalt or Milwaukee. I am happy with my Makita 12" cold saw. The local welding supply shop sells Makita, Jancy, Evolution, and DeWalt. The manager says they sell 10 or 15 Jancy saws for every other kind put together. And also mentioned that he only sells the DeWalt if a customer specifically asks for it because the tables are not strong enough and they get too many returns. I can vouch for the Makita as a good heavy duty saw but the rest is just a conversation.

/ Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw #6  
I have had the DeWalt 14 in cold cut for many years, and it does everything I want it to do and quite well.

You do know there are different blades for different metal, and they are not cheap. The number of teeth and the angle the teeth are set.

I also have the smaller Milwaukee 8 in cold cut/dry cut and it works fine. I use it mainly to cut metal roofing.

If people only knew they could use the cold cut blades on regular chop saws, they could save some money.

You have to know how to slow the speed of the saw, and I believe there is an electronic unit for that.

TruePower Electronic Stepless Speed Controller, Variable AC Motor Rheostat (Brush-type Only) - Power Router Accessories - Amazon.com

Last edited:
   / Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw #7  
I'm not a fan of Milwaukee or DeWalt, but I have had good luck with my 14 inch Milwaukee saw. I only use it a few times a year and it's always done the job.

Eddie

/ Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw #8  
I have the Northern Tool saw. I bought it on sale for about $170. It took a couple of months to get it but shipping was included.
I ruined the blade in about a month cutting 2 3/8" pipe. i learned that when cutting pipe you must rotate the pipe while cutting to avoid cutting at the bottom of the pipe. Also, do not try to cut a flat piece on the flat, turn it on edge to cut.

/ Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw #9  
I haven't tried either of those cold cut saws but assume they are constructed the same as thier chop saws. The dewalt chop saw has a thin stamped steel table and isn't all that sturdy. I really don't like the handle on the milwaukee because it is turned the wrong way to be ergonomic, unless the saw is low, (For me anyway) but the table is much sturdier. Again, this is the abrasive chop saws I have experience with, but I believe the cold cut saws have the same drawbacks.

As far as quality and speed of cut, that is going to be more dependent on the blade.

/ Dewalt Dw872 or Milwaukee 6190-20 Cold Cut Saw #10  
I presume you are not looking at a Dake or Kalamazoo. Also check out the Evolution line of saws. Remember, you get what you pay for. But there has to be a limit, or I'd already have the a fore mentioned Dake.