Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty?

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #1  

KennK

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I'm relatively new to using a Dewalt cordless grease gun. Yesterday I was greasing my JD tractor & front end loader, and after finishing with the FEL fittings I realized that even though I'd run 8+ pulses on each fitting, I hadn't actually seen grease oozing out of many (most) of them as is typical. I pumped the grease gun into the air, and sure enough no grease came out. I put in a fresh tube, and finished greasing the tractor. I found myself air pumping every few fittings just to be sure, but that creates a messy paper towel in one hand.

Thinking back, with a manual grease gun, when the tube is empty, I clearly feel no trigger resistance. With the Dewalt grease gun that is not possible.

Is the only way of knowing that a Dewalt grease gun's tube is empty is a lack of grease ooze and doing air pumping? Any advice is appreciated!!

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #3  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
You can hear a difference in the sound it makes. It makes more of a slapping sound when it’s empty.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #4  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4
I hold the flexible plastic tube and can feel a difference in the pulsing in the tube between grease and air. As 4570 said, I also notice a sound difference and a difference in the sound of the motor.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #5  

RjCorazza

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 Cab, ZD1211, ZD326
It's mostly the sound change for me also, however, the "hammering" or pulsing feel also smoothes out when empty. I can feel the change on the first or second cycle.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #6  

Tinhack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3910, John Deere 420C, Kubota G32XKS, IH 2606, Bad Boy Maverick-60"
Hmmmmmmm. I wonder how he knows when the oil can is empty. :ROFLMAO:

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #7  

Patches

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti 3054xs TLB
Just pull on the plunger before you use it to see what’s left is what I do with my manual pumps.

I also have two because I hate switching in the middle of machine prep:censored:
This is a guaranteed way of knowing just how much grease remains in the tube

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #8  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I usually just hit the prime valve on my DeWalt gun before and after doing each fitting to see if grease oozes out. Not much waste or mess doing it that way.
As others have said, I can also hear the difference in sound made by the motor when it's out of grease.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #9  

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
I also am not 100% sure when it’s empty. I just do a little in the air if I have doubt.