Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut?

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #1  

future_vision

Gold Member
Tractor
DK6010SE HSA
So I watched a bunch of videos for trimming my PTO down to size. Amazing how many variations there are. The one that seemed to keep coming up was to measure the distance between the ridge in the two shafts. Then I would cut down the PTO by however many inches it took to get to that length plus an additional 2 in. At least that's how I understand it. But, the manufacturer, in this case WoodMaxx, says to attach both shafts and hold them parallel and measure 1 inch in from the bottom of each side's shield and Mark that on the opposite shafts shield. That will give you how much to cut off on each shield. Then you take each shield and cut the same amount off the shaft for that shield. I gave that a try but realize afterwards that if you have those shafts angled at all then the measurements off. They need to be shortest distance parallel. If that makes sense. Well, when I realized that I've gone back to the board and tried to trim them down to where they need to be. Below is where I'm at and it seems like there's still not small enough? Or did I just really screw this up?

Please don't make fun of the crooked cuts. I'm doing this out in the field with a vise attached to a pallet.

PXL_20220709_191504941.MP.jpg
PXL_20220709_194501793.MP_exported_1133.jpg

Was

Last edited:
   / Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #2  
The PTO shaft is supposed to slide freely when lifting and lowering the implement. Should have 2 or more inches -- not any less on coupled shafts.

Generally speaking what I have done with new shafts or implements and I'm about to cut the driveline, is to attach the driveline to the implement first. Couple the tractor to the implement on the 3pt, raise and block the implement securely to it MAX height, then measure how much I need to cut. I typically eyeball it by holding the driveline up to where it needs to be, then measure, then halve it, then mark it accordingly. Then cut it.

After cutting, BEFORE I attach the driveline to the tractor from the implement, I raise the implement to the MAX height, and extend the driveline to the tractor using my hands to see if it is too long. If it is too long, I then re-measure and trim what I need off on both ends. Then rinse and repeat until it is just right. If I did it right the first time, then mission complete.

The reason I do it this way is so that I know I am getting the maximum amount of coupling within the driveline when lowered, and that it is not too long when I raise the implement to it's highest position that it is not going to ram the driveline into the transmission of the tractor or the gearbox of the implement. <<< This is NOT good $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

-------

What does it look like when the implement is raised all the way up. Can you attach the driveline with some wiggle room to spare? If yes, you did it right. If not, you need to cut some more off.

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut?
I thought the shortest distance was when the shafts were in line with each other. Or parallel to the ground. Is that not the case?

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #4  
No. When you lift the implement it will create the shortest distance.

Go test it with a ruler/tape measure.

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #5  
Don't forget to file out the shavings on both cuts inside and out and spray out the shafts with penetrating oil or WD 40 to get all the shavings out before trying to connect them. Lube them up good before you put them together.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #6  
I bet I read four or five different methods. Each was slightly different. I found the description given by the implement manufactured to be the best and easiest to understand. When I finished I used a thin triangle file to smooth each ridge - each valley. I retrospect - I should have used a die grinder and just ground a very short 45 degree angle on the end of each shaft. Clean well and lube appropriately.

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #7  
So I watched a bunch of videos for trimming my PTO down to size. Amazing how many variations there are. The one that seemed to keep coming up was to measure the distance between the ridge in the two shafts. Then I would cut down the PTO by however many inches it took to get to that length plus an additional 2 in. At least that's how I understand it. But, the manufacturer, in this case WoodMaxx, says to attach both shafts and hold them parallel and measure 1 inch in from the bottom of each side's shield and Mark that on the opposite shafts shield. That will give you how much to cut off on each shield. Then you take each shield and cut the same amount off the shaft for that shield. I gave that a try but realize afterwards that if you have those shafts angled at all then the measurements off. They need to be shortest distance parallel. If that makes sense. Well, when I realized that I've gone back to the board and tried to trim them down to where they need to be. Below is where I'm at and it seems like there's still not small enough? Or did I just really screw this up?

Please don't make fun of the crooked cuts. I'm doing this out in the field with a vise attached to a pallet.

View attachment 753432
View attachment 753436
Was
Watch this video and I think you will find your answer.

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #8  

View attachment 753432
View attachment 753436
Was
You have pallets out in your field TOO!

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut?
Don't forget to file out the shavings on both cuts inside and out and spray out the shafts with penetrating oil or WD 40 to get all the shavings out before trying to connect them. Lube them up good before you put them together.
Curious about this. Some say you file so the two pieces for together easy. You're saying that cleaning the implement out is important. Why is that? The shaft isn't hermetically sealed. It's bound to get dirt in there regardless. Is it because shavings do something?