Diesel algae issue ?

/ Diesel algae issue ? #1  

Strummer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Strummer1%
Changed my fuel filter few minutes ago . Looks like it has some kind of slime if algae . What is the best fuel treatment to prevent this ?
68807631472__F67DC7F6-8C69-475E-93F8-9675DCFA727B.fullsizerender.jpg

/ Diesel algae issue ? #2  
Ask if they are selling you bio diesel. One bulk plant tried that. Messed up a lot of side by sides. We have never had that problem. We fill log loaders, tractors, SKidders, dozers, SKid steers, back hoes, Trac hoes, tractors... Never have I had such a problem.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #3  
What is the best fuel treatment to prevent this
Since the diesel bugs live in the area where moisture and fuel meet you have to get rid of one or the other, water being the best choice :). A dose of an algicide will take care of anything forming.
Keep your tank full to prevent formation of moisture. If you can keep the moisture out, you won't have a problem, also as Roustabout said, don't use the bio diesel, use actual out of the ground diesel not recycled french fries.
As for getting rid of it, you leave one microscopic bit of that crap behind and it'll regrow. I'd dump the fuel and clean the complete fuel system from tank to injectors. If you want to try an algicide instead, be aware that when it kills the diesel bugs you're going to be changing filters to remove the carcasses.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #4  
You didn't post your location, but if you have a marina or marine dealership anywhere near you, they'll have diesel biocide additives. This is a very common problem on boats with diesel engines.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #5  
Try and find a good algaecide for diesel,
I've had success with Biobor and Kellem. I did go with a bit heavier then recommended dose.
I dosed the fuel that was in the tanks, the fuel in our storage tanks, and then as the tractors got refueled they got dosed again. Some of them went through several filters getting all the crap out of the tank and the worst one we had to blow back through the fuel lines a few times.
As far as I'm concerned the ones blaming bio diesel are wrong. The two worst tractors after having gone through several tanks of dosed fuel and filter sets, I filled them with B20 (in the summer) that was what finally got the tanks and lines cleaned out. Most bio diesel is a long ways from recycled french fry oil. All though I do know a couple of young guys that are running grease trucks quite sucessfully, more so in warm weather it's considerable work in cold weather.
We apparently got some compromised fuel several years ago delivered to us. It was a job getting several engines straightened back out.
Also had it happen to a few large diesel backup generators at my full time work years ago 300 and 350 KW units.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #6  
Lou... My algae issue started when I was using B20 in my pickup truck so I quit entirely. I believe the algae issue comes about when fuel is sitting in metal tanks that aren't full and get condensation on the inside and the water mixes in and causes the algae to grow. I also believe the best preventive cure is using a Certified biocide, one that comes with the mandatory EPA caution label. That and keeping your fuel tanks topped off when the tractors are sitting for a long period of time. My 'bout' with the algae cost me over a grand in replacement parts and I did all the work myself.

/ Diesel algae issue ?
Lou... My algae issue started when I was using B20 in my pickup truck so I quit entirely. I believe the algae issue comes about when fuel is sitting in metal tanks that aren't full and get condensation on the inside and the water mixes in and causes the algae to grow. I also believe the best preventive cure is using a Certified biocide, one that comes with the mandatory EPA caution label. That and keeping your fuel tanks topped off when the tractors are sitting for a long period of time. My 'bout' with the algae cost me over a grand in replacement parts and I did all the work myself.

My tanks is plastic. All the places around me claim 10% bio fuel . Looks like I’m going to get me an account at the coop and get red fuel .

/ Diesel algae issue ?
You didn't post your location, but if you have a marina or marine dealership anywhere near you, they'll have diesel biocide additives. This is a very common problem on boats with diesel engines.

I’m in South Tx . On the coast about half way between Houston and Corpus .

/ Diesel algae issue ? #10  
My tanks is plastic. All the places around me claim 10% bio fuel . Looks like I’m going to get me an account at the coop and get red fuel .
in a way it's like choosing ethanol free fuel, get unadulterated diesel w/o bio from a reputable high volume diesel. i get my diesel from a regular high volume get & go.

You raise a good question though...does the vendor have to state the % of bio in their diesel like gas does with ethanol? i've also noticed that many fuel treatments (i use Optilupe) do not include an algecide...so you'll prob have to add that alone to solve your problem. regards

Last edited: