Diesel fuel at Sam's Club

/ Diesel fuel at Sam's Club #1  

Jim Nelson

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800&B7510
Our local Sam's Club is remodeling their fuel island and adding diesel fuel.While I was in there this morning I was talking to one of the employees there and he said that several outlets like grocery chains and Target etc. that hadn't previously carried diesel were adding it. He said that the speculation was that the U.S. govt. was going to start allowing the European and Asian small, diesel powered , cars and trucks into the country.Has anyone heard about anything like this? It seems that it makes way too much sense to come from our govt. but you never know.I know that domestic auto makers are bringing on smaller trucks with diesel and I hear Nissan but it's hard for me to believe they would open the market up.

/ Diesel fuel at Sam's Club #2  
Nope, you are prime on this rumor.. :)

/ Diesel fuel at Sam's Club #4  
Yah, VW, BMW, Mercedes have all been selling diesels here, but some of the nicer Subarus, Nissans, etc. don't make it over here. That would make life more interesting, for sure. I've driven diesel rentals in Europe that I thought were great cars. When you consider that Audi has flat-out won at Le Mans for several years with their diesel hybrids, beating whatever else is out there, you have to pay attention.

/ Diesel fuel at Sam's Club
I've been seeing VW ads featuring diesel cars.

Steve
Yes the last I heard the VW was available in most of the country but not in Calif. at least a couple of years ago when we were shopping.There have been some real advancements across the pond but for some reason most of them don't get here and I suspect it's politics behind it.They let the older Mercedes in for years even when they were pretty dirty or at least I've seen a lot of them smoking pretty good. I guess we'll see.

/ Diesel fuel at Sam's Club #6  
Yah, VW, BMW, Mercedes have all been selling diesels here, but some of the nicer Subarus, Nissans, etc. don't make it over here. That would make life more interesting, for sure. I've driven diesel rentals in Europe that I thought were great cars. When you consider that Audi has flat-out won at Le Mans for several years with their diesel hybrids, beating whatever else is out there, you have to pay attention.

There's a great post on here somewhere about a guy "getting stuck" with an Audi diesel wagon for a rental in Germany. Decided to open 'er up late one night on the autobahn - never did quite figure out what he hit for top speed, when he finally looked down after braking for a (fomerly very) distant truck, he was still doing 200+ km/hr.

Said it put his USA spec 911 to shame..... and that was Audi's bone-stock family hauler !

Fingers crossed the gas guy is right....

Rgds, D.

/ Diesel fuel at Sam's Club #7  
It looks like we will be getting a new diesel/plug-in hybrid from Audi in 2016 that has a .32 coefficient of drag, 41.3 mpg, can tow 7700 pounds and has trailer backing assistance. http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2016-audi-q7-its-a-****-station-wagon-1670262401 "As a tow vehicle, the new trailer assistant will steer the trailer backwards in precisely the direction indicated by the driver using the rotary pushbutton of the MMI. The system also manages turning the steering wheel in the opposite direction, stabilizes the trailer-tow vehicle unit when driving backwards in a straight line and when the steering wheel is turned too far warns if the trailer could hit the rear of the vehicle."

/ Diesel fuel at Sam's Club #8  
I work on various Ford programs and one of the vehicles I support is the Escape (called the Kuga in China). In Europe and Asia they offer this vehicle with a small diesel and there is no talk of exporting it here, yet. I was told that the engine isn't emission cleared for operation in the states, don't read this as isn't capable because that I don't know.

/ Diesel fuel at Sam's Club #9  
This side of the pond (England) we were encouraged during the 90s to buy diesel cars (even the company car tax breaks were good) because the fuel was cheaper and you got better mileage and at the time it was classed as a cleaner fuel for the environment. Despite diesel being less refined than petrol (gasoline) it is now more expensive at the pumps because of the duty since loaded on the price. The uptake of diesel cars and vans also left a shortage of refineries so most diesel is brought in from the European continent.
Small diesel engines are very efficient but recent (5 years ago) changes to the laws emanating from the European courts mean that now engines need to have tight emission controls and a DPF (diesel particulate filter). The DPFs have proved troublesome for people who don't do decent length journeys and get the temperature up enough for the DPF to function, at which point the computer goes into limp home mode. If you drive for at least 30 minuets on open type roads (not sitting in traffic) the problem does not exist. I have a skoda octavia estate/station wagon (based on a VW Audi A3) with a 1.9 TDi engine. It is spacious and comfortable, easy to use and for all the driving in the last 20 months including some light towing and town driving I have averaged 56.56 miles per gallon (that's Imperial gallons of 8 pints), thats over 31,700 miles driven in that time. Of course the vehicle was just prior to the fitting of DPFs so I was lucky/careful. It has been exemplary in performance and reliability.
Some big cities are contemplating banning Diesel cars because of the problems of fumes, but out of town they are very much a logical choice.

/ Diesel fuel at Sam's Club #10  
I work on various Ford programs and one of the vehicles I support is the Escape (called the Kuga in China). In Europe and Asia they offer this vehicle with a small diesel and there is no talk of exporting it here, yet. I was told that the engine isn't emission cleared for operation in the states, don't read this as isn't capable because that I don't know.

Re-posting an email from a buddy who was in Germany on business:

Drove a Ford diesel Cmax today in Germany. Sized like a Civic, told me I was getting 3.8 l/100 km at 140 kmph. Solid on the road at 140, was like a civic at 80 kmph. Amazing creature comfort features too numerous to mention. Would love to bring it home with me. Man... We get crap cars in NA.

My view -> 62mpg US, at close to 90mph ? Even allowing for nominal error in the onboard 'puter, that's impressive. My street bike gets close to that, but I don't drive at that speed.

It's not hard to see why the oil industry prefers to have us on gasoline.

Rgds, D.