Diesel Fuel Rationing?

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #11  
Not likely. More likely we’re fully into a recession and demand goes down.
Not really. Every thing we buy relies on diesel to get it where it's going. The food we eat, from planting to harvest is nurtured by diesel powered equipment. Many homes in the NE are still heated by #2 heating oil... AKA diesel sans the road taxes. The truck delivering the fuel is most likely powered by diesel. Fortunately we are at the end of the heating season, so as long as it's a short recession we will be good by fall.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #14  
With price near $7 a gallon here rationing via cost is already evident.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #16  
”transitory” :sneaky:
12 months ago, inflation wasn’t even happening... “according to leading economists”. Then it was “transitory”. Even a broken clock is correct twice per day.

The average fuel price just hit an all time record.

It’s amazing how quickly everything can change.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #17  
Many are sitting on tons of equity... experience had shown how fast that can change!

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #19  
I hope never to return to fuel rationing on odd even days waiting hours to buy 10 gallon limit...

That said... when you think how inter related the economy is a little change can have far teaching impact...

As it is all my contract vendors have added fuel surcharges across the board...

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #20  
Not really. Every thing we buy relies on diesel to get it where it's going. The food we eat, from planting to harvest is nurtured by diesel powered equipment. Many homes in the NE are still heated by #2 heating oil... AKA diesel sans the road taxes. The truck delivering the fuel is most likely powered by diesel. Fortunately we are at the end of the heating season, so as long as it's a short recession we will be good by fall.
I saw a presentation last fall from the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad company. They are starting construction to double the number of tracks on transcontinental routes and are planning to offer 2 day freight service from west coast ports to Chicago. They claim that each train can deliver the same freight as 165 trucks and do it for 25% of the diesel fuel used by those 165 trucks. They made the claim that they would be the primary mover of transcontinental freight within a decade, and trucks would be more short haul delivery. Interesting. I think it’s a great solution. Let’s see if this happens. They also stated that the Union Pacific Railway was planning similar things on their routes.