Diesel tank cleaning help

/ Diesel tank cleaning help #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have two Ford tractors one that’s a 2810 and another that’s a 3910. Both are full of what looks like rust scale that flakes off and sits in bottom of the tank. The tanks are very hard to remove because of age. Is there away to clean these properly? I tried white vinegar with limited results. I also tried muriatic acid again with limited results. Someone mentioned steam cleaning. Thoughts?

Other ideas? In the future I will keep the tanks full but live and learn I guess.

Thanks,

IMG_3923.jpg

View attachment 785732
View attachment 785733

Last edited:
   / Diesel tank cleaning help #2  
Well the best way I found was small rocks to break the scale up. The only problem is once they start rusting it's really hard to stop them. My old International 464 has that problem and I cleaned it a couple times and it comes right back. I'm going to find a different tank to mount on it. Doesn't matter what kind, I can make mounts for it.

/ Diesel tank cleaning help
Yeah that’s what I’m worried about too.

/ Diesel tank cleaning help #4  
Don't know that this would help at all....but I once cleaned out the fuel tank on my JCB backhoe/loader. It had a drain bung on the bottom of tank, I drained tank, left bung off. I took a pressure washer and blew the smithereens out from the tank as best I could, letting the contents drain out the bung.

When done, I took a garden pressure sprayer, filled it with diesel and used it to "wash" out the inside with diesel, again, letting the fluid drain out the bottom (had a catch bucket under there).

Replaced bung, filled with diesel and I don't think I've had an issue since having done this (which was probably pushing 20 years ago)

That’s a good point and it may depend on what’s in the tank I’m not sure? But a friend of mine wants to use a steam cleaner and pressure wash. I’m gonna talk to him about it today. Thanks

/ Diesel tank cleaning help #6  
   / Diesel tank cleaning help #7  
Might be easier and maybe even cheaper just to replace the tank..?? Here is a link for a new tank for $144.

Just a thought.

/ Diesel tank cleaning help #8  
I had a Massy Gasser a long time ago with a crappy tank. I pulled it, ran gravel in it and tossed the heck out of it. Emptied it, douched it out best I could, Dried it and filled it with gas and went for it. I cleaned my glass bowl filter OFTEN and kept the tank filled almost always and had good luck with it. I think if I had the money at the time I would have just stuck a new tank in it.

/ Diesel tank cleaning help #9  
I steam clean questionable fuel tanks at work.

I'll get a floor jack or two out there, so I jack and angle the equipment so everything runs towards the drain.

Once finished, I use a rag and sop up any remaining water inside the tank. (Sometimes you have to get creative)

Then, fill with fresh fuel and treat with a fungicide.

I just had to drain and clean a fuel system last week where a customer added about 30 gallons of gasoline to a 120 gallon fuel tank

Ok great info. The lifting to angle the tank is a great idea. Thanks