Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ??

/ Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ?? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto\'s ??

Some tractors have a 1000 rpm pto instead of, or in addition to, to a “standard” 540 rpm pto.

What is the benefit (if any) of the 1000 pto, verses 540?
What are the cons (if any)??

For sake of education, let’s forget any price considerations that may (or may not?) exist. I’m only asking what the benefits/differences are from a mechanical/physical viewpoint, not a financial viewpoint.

/ Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ?? #2  
Re: Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto\'s ??

A long long time ago someone made an 1-1/8" pto shaft that spun about 540 rpm. Others copied the speed it turned, but made their shaft 1-3/8".

As standards formed and tractors got a little bigger, 1-3/8" pto at 540 rpm with 6 splines became the standard.

When tractors got bigger & crossed over 75 hp, they found standard iron & regular sized gears were snapping - too much hp for the size shaft @ rpm. While Case-IH developed some very spendy exotic metal shafts that transmit 130 hp, it's just not practical.

So, they came up with the 1000rpm standard for more hp. Because the shaft spins faster, it can transmit far more hp on the same size shaft. They put 21 splines on it so it's not easy to confuse the 2 types.

Now the small tractor makers noticed it was cheaper to make weaker driveline components that spin faster, so they tried to make front mount and rear mount ptos at 1000 rpm. But, so many regular rear-mount equipment exsists, that had to also offer 540 rear pto.

There is no better or worse. You need to match up to what you have. The faster speeds allow either cheaper pto shafts, or more hp to be moved through the same size shaft.

I would want a tractor capible of 540 rpm on the rear. The front mount stuff is almost always special-built for your particular tractor, so 1000rpm, or whatever, is just fin for the mid/front. Some folks run easy loads on the rear at 1/2 throttle to save fuel with the 1000 pto driving a 540 implement, but you should never run a 540 implement faster than 540 so be careful. In a tractor under 75 hp, the 1000 pto on the rear is a niffty option that you probably will never need or miss.

--->Paul

/ Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ?? #3  

The simple answers that I give assume that you are referring to the rear PTO shaft only.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What is the benefit (if any) of the 1000 pto, verses 540?)</font>

The "benefit" of the 1000 rpm pto is that you could use 1000 rpm PTO equipment. Seems like I saw a 1000 rpm pump that could be used on some 3-point spray rigs that I was looking at recently. I am not familiar with any other type of 1000 rpm equipment that may be available.

There was a TBN thread not too long ago that was discussing the "linear relationship" of engine rpm to PTO rpm; part of the discussion involved someone wanting to operate 540 rpm equipment using the 1000 rpm speed but with lower engine rpm so that the 1000 rpm speed selection would actually put out 540 rpm. A seach on "linear" should make the thread easy to locate.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What are the cons (if any)?? )</font>

I see no "cons" to having the 1000 RPM pto speed IN ADDITION to the 540; however, I see lots of potential problems to having the 1000 RPM pto speed in lieu of the 540 pto.

You've got my curiosity up. What type tractors have rear 1000 rpm pto and do not have a rear 540 rpm pto?

Kelvin

/ Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ??

Hi Kelvin...

Well, as I (think) I recall.. my now deceased neighbor has a IH 1066 that I think had 2 pto's on the rear (and you were correct to presume rear)

They are lining his stuff up in a field, so I'm suspecting an auction is somewhere down the road. As I'd love to get a 15' flexwing and something to drive it (backward purchasing logic to make Nomad happy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I just got to wondering the whats and why's of the differences.

Can it also be looked at like this...gearing?

Auto transmission... if the driveshaft is spinning at 1000 rpm, the car is going "X" mph. The car will have "Y" torque.

Shift down 1/2 of your gears, keeping rpm's the same, the speed of the driveshaft is now going 500 rpms, BUT will be able to transmit much more torque to the wheels, than at the higher gear.

Would connecting a 100 hp to a 540 rpm pto, connected to a 540 impliment have the abilty to have "twice" the power available to it, than the 1000 rpm pto/impliment?

(off pto stuff now)

I am not positive about the auction idea, however, it's smelling like a duck and starting to quack like a duck given the yard cleanup & impliment lineup in a field.

I'm intending on contacting the son to verify my suspicions. I noticed this IH 1066, some other tractors (mostly OLD...perhaps worth restoring??) a bunch of farm impliments, he has trailers, trucks...just about anything I guess you'd work a farm with.

Anyway... if anyone wants more info, this location is near Knoxville and I'd be happy to inquire more (and post my results) as to what they have.

/ Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ?? #5  

I am not familiar with any other type of 1000 rpm equipment that may be available.

My new 730 JD mower conditioner is 1000 pto.

/ Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ?? #6  

rambler,
Good job on the post. HP is a derivative of velocity and torque. By going to the 1000 RPM on a standard 1 3/8" shaft you will greatly increase the HP that can be transmitted through that 1 3/8" shaft. When even more HP is needed then MFG go to 1 3/4" shafts and turn them are 100 RPM's.

/ Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ?? #7  

Richard,
After making my last post I was looking at the WoodsOnline.com web site and ran across their ""Flail Shredder" type rear mower that operates via a 1000 rpm tractor PTO. The link takes you to the model that cuts 143" to 303". If you want to see larger models, hit the "Product" pull down and look for "Flail Shredders". Boy, that should sure cut down on your mowing time if you had a large enough tractor.

Of course, the bat-wing mower would be nice as well. I didn't look at the Woods specifications for them.

Regarding auction items, I have a desire for a smaller backhoe that would work on my Kubotas, but I doubt that they would have a small one on a large farm like that (but you never know...). Let me know when the auction is and I'll try to attend if I am available.

Kelvin

/ Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ?? #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

You've got my curiosity up. What type tractors have rear 1000 rpm pto and do not have a rear 540 rpm pto?

Kelvin )</font>

Tractors around 65 hp through 140 hp may have both pto speeds available, through a double-sided or 2 seperate pto shafts that are fairly easy to swap/ change. If buying one of these tractors at auction or from a dealer, be sure you get the pto shaft(s) you need - they are pretty spendy for a little metal shaft!

Tractors over 150 hp frequently come with just 1000 rpm, as there is too much hp for a normal 540 pto anyhow - just snaps them off.

Likewise with implements, anything requiring a lot of hp will be offered in 1000 rpm; implements requiring more than 120 hp almost have to be 1000 rpm pto.

--->Paul

/ Differences in 1000 -vs- 540 pto's ?? #9  

I don't know if other manufactuerers offer a 1000 RPM PTO on their smaller tractors, but I was surprised to learn that Kioti offers a 1000 RPM PTO on their machines as small as the 20 HP LB1914.