Disking food plots with the YM2000

/ Disking food plots with the YM2000 #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
I figure everyone likes pics and especially videos. I made a video as I was disking my food plots a few weeks ago. If it looks like it keeps cutting and jumping it's because it is. I had to stop it to make the turn so the video wouldn't be all ready as I used my two hands. Just some raw footage of the tractor from the driver seat. If I had thought I would of made a clip or two to splice in looking at me. Just a last minute idea to make it. I planted wheat and oats. It's up an inch or two now.

Disking Fall Foodplots With Yanmar YM2000 - YouTube

/ Disking food plots with the YM2000 #2  
Looking good. Just an observation and comment. Turning with a disc like that makes for the possibility of breaking a disc. Your soft ground will probably allow it but hard ground can snap them. I've seen it more than once.

/ Disking food plots with the YM2000
Looking good. Just an observation and comment. Turning with a disc like that makes for the possibility of breaking a disc. Your soft ground will probably allow it but hard ground can snap them. I've seen it more than once.

Yes, if it's not that broken up I only disk straight. Last year I think it was, was the first time in 4 to 5 years that I did these food plots. First few passes I didn't dare turn. Since these are still somewhat loose I make a few sweeping turns. I am more concerned with the tractor axle housing and the forces it places. Yea it's a pain to pull a disk off but that's a relatively cheap lesson compared to tractor. We have a decomposed granite loamy/sandy clay based soil here. Also just got the rain from Sandy. I was disking less than 2 days after that rain.

Thinking about it, I want to add. Each time I cut the camera to make a turn I did pick the disk up. But I think I made some sweeping turns with it down, I will have to go back and look

Thank you for the tip as well!!

/ Disking food plots with the YM2000 #4  
   / Disking food plots with the YM2000 #5  
I figure everyone likes pics and especially videos. I made a video as I was disking my food plots a few weeks ago. If it looks like it keeps cutting and jumping it's because it is. I had to stop it to make the turn so the video wouldn't be all ready as I used my two hands. Just some raw footage of the tractor from the driver seat. If I had thought I would of made a clip or two to splice in looking at me. Just a last minute idea to make it. I planted wheat and oats. It's up an inch or two now.

Disking Fall Foodplots With Yanmar YM2000 - YouTube

Really nice. What types of trees are near the food plots. I only ask because there is another person who is questioning about disc'ing near Aspen trees.

Really nice. What types of trees are near the food plots. I only ask because there is another person who is questioning about disc'ing near Aspen trees.

Tree types are my wheelhouse, being a Forester. We have no Aspen trees here. Adjacent to my fields I have (some of the more common species but not all) oaks several species, the most common ones beside it are willow oak, post oak, white oak, southern red oak, I have plenty sweetgums, several pine species but most common is loblolly and some shortleaf, I have red maple, hickory, elm, and cedar. Some of the lesser species are poplar, dogwood, sourwood, blackgum, persimmon, and dogwood.

I am sure I missed some and did not list everything that grows here...I know there is some cherry near but I didn't list it. Like I said there lots and there probably almost one of everything along the edge of I really looked. I just said hickory but we have like 3 or 4 species of hickory alone. Like 20 species of oak as well.

/ Disking food plots with the YM2000 #7  
Tree types are my wheelhouse, being a Forester. We have no Aspen trees here. Adjacent to my fields I have (some of the more common species but not all) oaks several species, the most common ones beside it are willow oak, post oak, white oak, southern red oak, I have plenty sweetgums, several pine species but most common is loblolly and some shortleaf, I have red maple, hickory, elm, and cedar. Some of the lesser species are poplar, dogwood, sourwood, blackgum, persimmon, and dogwood.

I am sure I missed some and did not list everything that grows here...I know there is some cherry near but I didn't list it. Like I said there lots and there probably almost one of everything along the edge of I really looked. I just said hickory but we have like 3 or 4 species of hickory alone. Like 20 species of oak as well.

Whew, that's a huge list. Any of those trees with root systems like an Aspen that could reach great distances towards the disc'ed food plot? Would the disc harrow bust those roots well enough to keep the forest from expanding to the food plot?

Yea several will have roots that reach into the food plots depending on how close you disk to the woods. I am not educated much about aspen, we don't have them anywhere around here so I just don't know. The disk will cut roots if there small enough or the disk is heavy enough, depending on how you look at it. Usually with our trees you will kill surface roots and encourage them to stay deeper. But honestly our forests are so aggressive that disking won't really stop their growth, unless you have a really large transport disk that can really cut and throw up a small tree to dry them out to kill the (think small 1" trees). My little disk will just turn soil around it but say sweetgum that's establish will hang on and persist through me disking. If you want to stop a forest or young trees from growing you just spray it with glyphasate. It kills everything and is cheap. You can even spot spray just the trees. I don't care what side of gmo or use for our growth of food, it's a food plot not your garden so that should not matter.