Dixon Kodiak 52 Help! Or A Forum For Them.

/ Dixon Kodiak 52 Help! Or A Forum For Them. #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Hi all,
Was gifted a Dixon Kodiak 52 that won't move.
Looking for help or more specifically a forum for Dixon Z turn machines.

Thanks for any info!

/ Dixon Kodiak 52 Help! Or A Forum For Them.
   / Dixon Kodiak 52 Help! Or A Forum For Them. #4  
Two things to check. Find and make sure the bypass/roll valves on the hydrostat drives haven't been engaged. and also make sure that the drive belt for the hydro drives is in place and spinning when the engine is running. On some mowers the parking brake also moves the idler arm to engage the belt for the drive. make sure it is moving freely.

Two things to check. Find and make sure the bypass/roll valves on the hydrostat drives haven't been engaged. and also make sure that the drive belt for the hydro drives is in place and spinning when the engine is running. On some mowers the parking brake also moves the idler arm to engage the belt for the drive. make sure it is moving freely.
I see this on the pumps which are indicated as the method to release for moving the machine when not powered.
1.png

Are there additional valves or something else on the actual drive motors? I can't see someone climbing under the thing to release something in order to move it.

Drive belt is in good condition and is spinning and the pump pulleys are also spinning.

I think the hand brake just acts like a parking brake. I don't see that it is attached to the belt drive system.

/ Dixon Kodiak 52 Help! Or A Forum For Them. #6  
I see this on the pumps which are indicated as the method to release for moving the machine when not powered.
View attachment 747911

Are there additional valves or something else on the actual drive motors? I can't see someone climbing under the thing to release something in order to move it.

Drive belt is in good condition and is spinning and the pump pulleys are also spinning.

I think the hand brake just acts like a parking brake. I don't see that it is attached to the belt drive system.
That is the bypass/roll valves in the picture. They allow the wheel motors to bypass the pump for pressure relief for movement.

Something to try if those valves are closed is to open them, then start and release the parking brake, and move the direction handles back a forth a few times each, and then close the valves and see what happens. Also may help to jack the drive wheels off the ground and see if the wheels spin when moving the levers back and forth like you are trying to drive it. In other words it may need the system bleed to eliminate any air that could be sitting in the system.

That is the bypass/roll valves in the picture. They allow the wheel motors to bypass the pump for pressure relief for movement.

Something to try if those valves are closed is to open them, then start and release the parking brake, and move the direction handles back a forth a few times each, and then close the valves and see what happens. Also may help to jack the drive wheels off the ground and see if the wheels spin when moving the levers back and forth like you are trying to drive it. In other words it may need the system bleed to eliminate any air that could be sitting in the system.
I did try a bit with them open but then closed them and still nothing. Only did it briefly though.
I will lift it and try it with them open and then closed to see what happens. Got to get more oil also.
Since neither side tried to do anything that I could tell it would seem it is a come denominator type of thing.

Air in the system does seem like a possibility.

To bleed, move the handles one at a time or at the same time? Or does it matter?

I just remembered that with the valves closed I was still able to push the mower.

Last edited:
   / Dixon Kodiak 52 Help! Or A Forum For Them. #8  
You can do one at a time, both at a time, or go opposite directions. Being able to push the mower with some effort with the valves closed my be normal If it pushes fairly easily with the valves closed then you either have a large amount of air in the system, or you have a major issue. Not many things will cause both sides to fail at the same time.

I will try this later today after I get more oil. Reservoir is low.

One note is that the previous owner reported they got the mower stuck and were going back and forth trying to move it when it quite moving.