DIY Stump Grinder - Possibly Using an Old Flywheel!?!

/ DIY Stump Grinder - Possibly Using an Old Flywheel!?! #1  

Phil2004

Tractor
Ford 1715
So I’m thinking about building myself a swing type stump grinder. Here’s my thoughts and I’m open to ideas or suggestions.

Main Frame from an old carry all with an arm hinged to it to mount the gearbox/wheel

Tie rod cylinder from TSC for the swing function.

3point lift used for up/down

Brush hog gearbox mounted sideways to drive the grinder

Old Diesel engine flywheel as the grinding wheel with whatever teeth I can find.

What could possibly go wrong!?

/ DIY Stump Grinder - Possibly Using an Old Flywheel!?! #2  
I'm afraid the cast iron won't like to the take hard hits and may break and create a big mess. I would rather have a thick plate of steel and have the peace of mind.

This is coming from someone who is thinking about building a wood chipper using a big round piece of cast iron but most likely won't use that piece for this same reason.

By the way, I'm all for DIY projects. Keep us updated with the build.

/ DIY Stump Grinder - Possibly Using an Old Flywheel!?!
I'm afraid the cast iron won't like to the take hard hits and may break and create a big mess. I would rather have a thick plate of steel and have the peace of mind.

This is coming from someone who is thinking about building a wood chipper using a big round piece of cast iron but most likely won't use that piece for this same reason.

By the way, I'm all for DIY projects. Keep us updated with the build.
I guess I didn’t realize most flywheels are cast..

/ DIY Stump Grinder - Possibly Using an Old Flywheel!?!
One thing comes to mind coming from a veteran Helicopter Mechanic/Crew Chief. Sudden stoppage. I have witnessed what happens to gearboxes when operating at full RPM and encounter a brief interruption as in the case of a turbine engine compressor stall. Think bang, bang at 100 percent RPM, momentary pause then 100 percent RPM. I would not subject my tractor PTO to that type of abuse. To each his own I guess. The gearbox used to drive the flywheel should be considered sacrificial. We have magnetic chip detectors in aviation engines, transmission, and gearboxes. Metal in oil is a common occurrence and sometimes chips or chunks. Wanna see the master caution on a helicopter light up like a Xmas tree. Keep flying when you have a compressor stall or blade strike. :) (Combat Operations)
I hear you. I was a C-130 crew chief for 7 years, so I get where you’re coming from. Yes the whole stump grinder could be sacrificial as far as I’m concerned. I figured a good PTO shaft slip clutch would help absorb any significant shock. I’m pretty new to the tractor world. I just can’t believe how pricey some of these attachments are and how expensive stumps are to grind. I just had two stump ground by a local guy which cost me $400! I only have about 100 more I need to grind 😭

/ DIY Stump Grinder - Possibly Using an Old Flywheel!?! #5  
There's more than one or two threads here on TBN of guys that have made them or thought about it etc...I would try using google using the TBN domain name...
good luck...

/ DIY Stump Grinder - Possibly Using an Old Flywheel!?! #6  
I guess I didn’t realize most flywheels are cast..
Be safe, just buy one and sell it when you are done, you will get most of your money back when you sell it.

SR

/ DIY Stump Grinder - Possibly Using an Old Flywheel!?! #7  
Be safe, just buy one and sell it when you are done, you will get most of your money back when you sell it.

SR
I read this and I'm thinking why would you buy a flywheel and then sell it when your done with it? I thought about what you said and now it makes sense but it didn't for a bit!

/ DIY Stump Grinder - Possibly Using an Old Flywheel!?! #8  
100 stumps??? Why not rent a good sized excavator to rip them out?