DK40HST 4 wheel sometimes clunks when disengaging.

/ DK40HST 4 wheel sometimes clunks when disengaging. #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
Mine is a 2008 I believe and about 400+ hours on it. Recently I have an audible clunk when switching off the four wheel. I'm often in and out moving between places with brush etc. It's like gears maybe in a bind that release. I find it tends to not do this if I switch off 4x4 and back up a few feet. I'm sorta treating it like some 4x4 trucks when you disengage the front drivetrain. I have hearing protection on but can hear it. It's not as bad as the old shop Kawasaki Mule we had when disengaging it. You might get so many yards down the road and it felt like someone hit the frame with a big mallet.

/ DK40HST 4 wheel sometimes clunks when disengaging. #2  
My 2012 Kawasaki mule 4010 has a slight clunk about 5 minutes after switching to 2WD, but its not too bad. My 2010 DK45HSE makes no sound when switching between 2x and 4x modes. I always come to a stop, but other than that, nothing makes any noise. I have about 1200 hours on my tractor

/ DK40HST 4 wheel sometimes clunks when disengaging. #3  
My LK30 makes no noise when I switch from 4WD to 2WD. Only when disengaging the differential lock do I here a ping, but that's normal from what I've seen (it's the pin retracting when it has no more friction holding it in place).

/ DK40HST 4 wheel sometimes clunks when disengaging. #4  
Try to get at least one axle on a somewhat less tractive surface release the binding. Or, if you have a loader, you can pick up the front axle to release the binding also.

Dave